Can Water Be a Factor?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bigredfeather, Aug 9, 2013.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I've had chickens for several years now, and I'm facing a problem I've never had. For about a year I had my flock free ranging on my property. I had always gotten plenty of eggs. Sometimes it took a few days to find the new spot they where laying, but none the less we always had eggs. I did not give the birds any feed or water the whole time unless it got really dry, then I'd give them a pan of water. They always seemed happy and healthy. This Spring, after I planted my garden, I decided to pen them up so they wouldn't get into our garden. I had a pen with a run already set-up that I had used previously. I cleaned and disinfected it before moving them in their. Egg production immediately slowed down, and eventually came to a halt. At nearly the same time, I bought 20 Buckeye hens from someone, and housed them in a different pen and in a different barn. These 20 laid like crazy for a few weeks, started slowing down, and eventually quit.

I've been puzzled about this for some time. Last night as I was filling up their water, I got to thinking that maybe my water is the problem.

Does anyone know of something that could be in my water that would cause them to quit laying? It is from a well, and does have high iron.

Thanks.

2. Irishhenman

Irishhenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    Ireland
    What are you feedin them while they are in the run

3. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I am feeding them the same layer ration I used before I turned them loose to free range. It's a complete ration that includes some fish meal, kelp, and other typical feed ingredients.

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Chickens don't like change. It may be that they are on strike because you penned them.

Chris

5. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I realize that. It's been almost 4 months since I moved them. I would have thought that would be plenty of time for them to adjust. It's not like they can't get outside. Their run is 20' x 30', and they're out there all the time.

6. upthecreek

upthecreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How old are the birds? Are they molting?

8. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    The OP said they are feeding a layer ration with fish meal, so the animal protein seems to be covered. Would think it's not a run of the mill pellet, although many feed that and their chickens do well.

9. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I use a Fertrell layer recipe. I buy the ingedients and grind/mix it myself. The corn and beans come from an organic farmer down the road, everything else comes from Fertrell. It's not the feed. I've used this for several years.

10. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I am saying, I don't think it's the feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by