Can We Add Silkie Egg To Duck Eggs In Bator?!??!

kysilkies

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
One of our babies just had their first egg and we only have one bator which happens to have Khaki Campbell Duck eggs which are on day 12...Can we add this silkie egg?!?!...It was just laid today and nobody was laying on it(we're new, our oldest are 6mths old)...
hu.gif

Last edited:
Thank you for the info...

We've raised a single before(not by choice, sole survivor of a batch of 8 eggs), we're prepared once it's born...We'd prefer to have more and maybe over the next day or so one of the other 4 will kick one out...We're a lil excited at the moment...LOL

Last edited:
too bad you didn't have another incubator, you could save the eggs for a few days and then set them? I have added chicken eggs to guinea eggs that were set, after waiting a week, and had a pretty good hatch. we have even thrown in an egg or 2 the next day or so and it was fine. maybe you can put some kind of divider in your incubator to keep the separate while they are hatching?

Should one of them be sitting on it now?...We thought about leaving it in there this evening to see who attends to it, we were concerned that none of the 5 hens was paying it any attention, we can't even tell who's it is...

It's in the upper 30;s lower 40;s in the coop at night...Thoughts!??!??!...

Quote:
if it is the first egg she may not be ready to go broody, I wouldn't take the chance, unless you see one setting on the nest going broody, you also have to take the time of year in consideration, being closer to winter, the babies might not survive unless they were in the house or a heated coop.

Just because they are silkies doesn't mean they will be broody--especially immediately, so I wouldn't try that if you want to try to get the chick. I'd go with the incubator as the best bet.

Usually a broody will save up a clutch before she sets, so it's possible one still intends on it, but if this is the first egg ever, I would tend to doubt it.

grats on the new eggs!!!!!
YaY!!!!!!

you can incubate them together, but you need to have plans for seperate lockdowns....
ducks need higher humidity at hatch than chickens...

i have a styrofoam ice chest that i attempted to make an incubator in when i tried to save some peacock eggs this summer.. i'm using htat as a hatcher on my staggered hatch.. when each batch is ready to go on lockdown i'll move it to that so i can keep opening the LG bator to turn what's in there...

when are your duck eggs due to hatch?? could always save your silky eggs and start them one the ducks are done?? i have eggs developing in my bator that were 2 weeks old when they went in...

Back
Top Bottom