Can we add two Silkie chicks to two larger breed chicks that we have had for a few days?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Coop's Coop, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Coop's Coop

Coop's Coop Songster

Oct 16, 2017
    Total chicken noob here! My son has two 6 day old hen chicks (Buff Brahma and Specled Sussex). We have had them for a few days. IN LOVE! He wants to buy two Silkie hen chicks if we can find them. He wants them all to grow up together. I'm hoping to find ones around the same age. Will there be a problem introducing the two new Silkies to the other chicks? If I get Silkie chicks that are a bit older than our existing chicks is that a bad idea to mix them? I think our chicks were hatched on 10/11 and the Silkies I'm interested in were hatched 10/5 or maybe a few days earlier. Thanks! The Silkies are going to break my sons birthday budget and I want to try to anticipate any problems that may occur with introducing two new chicks....don't want it to be an expensive mistake where we have to buy two coops and runs! I'd love to hear what you think experienced chicken lovers.

2. SillySilkie

SillySilkie Chirping

Oct 14, 2017
    NC
    Bigger breed of chickens can bully silkies so I don’t know. Maybe introduce them and watch them for a while

Coop's Coop likes this.
  3. SeaPolka

SeaPolka Songster

Aug 25, 2017
    Ive always thought its best to introduce chicks when young as they establish a mini flock and pecking order without the excessive moods. I wouldn't see a problem with mixing them but I guess I'm no expert, this is just my experience.

4. savannahRoos22

savannahRoos22 Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    Oh boy! I'm really excited for you! I hope you make a good decision and don't have to add more expenses! I'm truly not sure. Good luck! Me personally, I wouldn't keep a speckled sussex with silkies. Silkies are so calm and affectionate that they're likely to not be violent ever. I love them! Sorry I can't help.

Coop's Coop likes this.
  5. SeaPolka

SeaPolka Songster

Aug 25, 2017
    Speckled Sussex are quite friendly. Even with flighty breeds, if you persist with handling them they most likely will become tamer. Sussex are quite docile in my opinion. Silkies can do well in a flock if they've been raised together, otherwise if you throw them in fully grown they can look 'different' to the other hens and that starts a cycle of bullying, but bullying can happen to any hen, weird looking or not.

6. savannahRoos22

savannahRoos22 Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    Thats way exciting! I would love getting a couple! Good to know Thanks

Coop's Coop likes this.
  7. thumper29a

thumper29a Songster

Jan 30, 2012
    Coldwater MI
    I have four silkies that run with my flock of hens and rooster. I would say if they grow up together it would be fine. But don't wait to long as it don't take pullets long to establish their flock. I have 2 month old pullets that will bully newbies. I did have one silkie that was cocky and would intigate with girls obviously bigger than her and i gave her to a silkie farmer for her own good

Coop's Coop likes this.
  8. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Enabler

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I would go with silkies a bit older then your existing chicks. Not more than a week older though.

I have both Brahma and Speckled Sussex. They are generally very docile breeds.

Coop's Coop likes this.
  9. Coop's Coop

Coop's Coop Songster

Oct 16, 2017
    That's what I'm afraid of. So perhaps Silkies that are a bit larger/older now than our current chicks might be good?

10. Coop's Coop

Coop's Coop Songster

Oct 16, 2017
    I'm hoping mixing them young would work, but I'm a noob. It may be wishful thinking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: