Can we clip the wings of a showing chicken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Jan 10, 2009.

1. I'm about to take my son to his first 4-H poultry meeting and he's going to bring his black sumatra pullet that he had shown a couple of times last year.
    This is an outdoor (barns, etc.) meeting at someone else's farm. He will be handling the bird and I am petrified that if she gets away from him (he's 8), she'll fly away (she is an excellent flyer).
    Can we clip her wing (s) or is that frowned upon for show chickens?

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    It's a disqualification.

3. Thank You!

4. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    nope, they will not be showable if u do.

5. I honestly doubt that she will get away from him as he's great with her, but am just being a worrywart!

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Probably this is a stupid idea but might it be possible to attach a leash to the bird's ankle and the other end tied to his belt, so that she couldn't go far? (e.t.a. - only when she's out of the cage, obviously [​IMG])

Pat

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They bird should be perfectly fine. If the wings are clipped the bird will be DQed.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You could get a harness like you would use on a dog (make sure it is adjustable so you can fit the build of a chicken rather than that of a dog) and attach a leash to that.

9. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:This would not be a good idea for a showbird, especially before judging, as this will mess up the feathers and lessen the presentation of the bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by