Can we eat chickens who just up & die?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GiddyMoon, Apr 20, 2011.

1. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Can we? I can't imagine our forefathers wasting the bird. [​IMG]

2. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I think it depends. If it just died, it might be worth it. I wouldn't risk it on a bird that has been sitting dead for awhile, though. I'd also consider why they died.

3. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Not me! What if they ate something poisonous? Or died of a cancer? Or an overload of worms? Nope. I take no chances.

JMO

Rusty

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I definitely would not...

5. Britney

Britney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    I would not eat it and I would hope that you didn't eat it either. If you found a dead bunny or other animal on the side of the road would you eat it? LOL, I sure hope not.

6. GiddyMoon

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Heyyy Classics..spent 40 years in Sac...we sold everything and moved to Tucson..love it here [​IMG]

7. GiddyMoon

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Actually, I come from a long line of people who if they found warm dead fresh roadkill..... [​IMG]

Heck yes they would take it home and eat it. I don't want "opinions" I want true answers from people who really know chickens. If you have a healthy bird who all of a sudden dies from being egg bound or something else and you find your own bird, that you know what it has been eating.....

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    * Can we eat chickens who just up & die?

You can if you want to take the risk of contacting whatever it died from.

Now we used to eat chickens that just up and died when my mother in law came for a visit cuz they just did that when they saw her comin. However I wouldn't just eat a chicken that was fine one minute and dead the next (well that is how the chickens my mother in law scared to death died, but I mean when she weren't there) unless I knew what killed them. Fact is my wife used to jus say we're havin chicken for dinner tomorrow and I knew her mother was comin. [​IMG] I used to hide my favorites when I knew she were comin.

Might be something contagious. Hope you life insurance is paid up.

Rancher

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  9. GiddyMoon

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Too funny Hicks! lol

That's what I mean..of course you wouldn't want to eat a sick bird..but it would shock me if our ancestors did not find a way to make use of the bird.

10. Britney

Britney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Giddymoon you are making my day a whole bunch better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by