CAN WE EAT THE EGGS?

NEESHNATHAN

Hatching
Apr 28, 2017
Hello all you chicken lovers! We are so happy and excited to join this group! This is our 2nd year with having chickens! We love love having them ! Along with the organic eggs every day! I usually google the questions i have. Then i came across this group! Hopefully this will be easier than searching info about our female only chickens.

Im starting out with a question!

We have mice and the chickens are better hunters than our cat! The concern we have is this. If the mice have been poisoned and the chickens are fine, can we still eat the eggs?

It's been a week since we discovered the mice (way too many). We knew we had them but not the volume. A few weeks prior we put poison (sorry now) in one of the holes.

Our chickens are fine and love hunting the mice. However, we are concerned about us eating the eggs!

IS IT OK IF THE CHICKENS ARE OK?

THANK YOU AHEAD OF TIME FOR THE ANSWERS
1f917.png

I'm sorry but, I don't know the answer to that question. Hopefully others responding after me will know more. Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. You may want to check out the "water bucket mouse trap," via the search box. It drowns the mice but, there is no poison involved.

Hello all you chicken lovers! We are so happy and excited to join this group! This is our 2nd year with having chickens! We love love having them ! Along with the organic eggs every day! I usually google the questions i have. Then i came across this group! Hopefully this will be easier than searching info about our female only chickens.

Im starting out with a question!

We have mice and the chickens are better hunters than our cat! The concern we have is this. If the mice have been poisoned and the chickens are fine, can we still eat the eggs?

It's been a week since we discovered the mice (way too many). We knew we had them but not the volume. A few weeks prior we put poison (sorry now) in one of the holes.

Our chickens are fine and love hunting the mice. However, we are concerned about us eating the eggs!

IS IT OK IF THE CHICKENS ARE OK?

THANK YOU AHEAD OF TIME FOR THE ANSWERS
1f917.png

Maybe someone will help you that has experience in this. Personally, and having over 60 chicken pens and have had over 1200 chickens at one time----I would never put out poison for the rats--afraid the chickens would get a hold of a poisoned one. I do feed control and cats---I had a lot of rats but seem to be got them under control now doing that and 15 cats helps.

We are sorry now! That's why we are asking for input. We are fairly new at this and need advice! We thought it was farr enough away from the chickens and the coop. However, we found the major mice problem underneath the cement blocks placed underneath the whole flooring of the coop!

1f641.png
1f641.png
1f641.png

No help here but I wouldn't....Agree with drumstickdiva & PD - Riverman....I wouldn't want to take the chance my chickens ate poisoned mice, you've been lucky none had been affected by eating any poisoned mice. I don't have a problem with rodents (thankfully) but do set out the spring loaded traps now & then to check.

Given the potential seriousness, I would encourage you to reach out to poison control or the manufacturer of the specific poison you have used and get information specific to the chemicals that are potentially at risk of pass through

We are sorry now! That's why we are asking for input. We are fairly new at this and need advice! We thought it was farr enough away from the chickens and the coop. However, we found the major mice problem underneath the cement blocks placed underneath the whole flooring of the coop!

1f641.png
1f641.png
1f641.png

Why you think the rats are worse in the area of the chickens----feed/feeders, feeders loaded at night for them to eat and eat. Spilt feed. I wish I could help or had answers but I have never done this and I am sure you will see most of the others don't either----I have no answers. Call the poison number on the pack is all I know to do too!

On second thought, I would probably move my chickens until this was under control, But I have pens---some 1/2 mile away so it would make that decision easier for me.

Last edited:
G’Day from down under NEESHNATHAN
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry that I am also not sure and basically will just echo that any Poisons Information Help line etc is your best bet.

I hope that your chookies are all OK and that you get the issue sorted.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

Edited to Add: I found a couple of threads on the subject ...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/630770/hen-ate-poisoned-mouse

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/269159/can-rat-poison-pass-from-chicken-into-eggs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom