Can we eat this egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, Sep 9, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    I didn't get a picture of them, but we have one hen laying really brittle eggs. They have dents in them where ever we touch them. Nothing is leaking out, its just very brittle. Is it safe to eat?

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm not sure on whether or not it's safe to eat; if it's leaving dents where you are touching it, it seems like it would be rather soft, not brittle (?) so I'm a bit confused.

How old is the chicken laying them? Do they have access to free-choice oyster shell? If not that will most likely resolve the issue.

3. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:Well yes it seems soft, but the shell seems to be breaking like it's brittle. But again, nothing is coming out. They are newly laying hens at 22 weeks. It's one of our EE's so they are pretty green eggs. There is oyster shell always available, and I have seen her eat it.

4. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    If you look at it and think "ew", then feed it to the dog.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Since they are so young, she's probably just working the kinks out of her egg-laying machinery. I wouldn't worry about it, but personally, I'd opt to not eat the soft/brittle ones.

6. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Sounds like a thin shelled egg.

I let my birds range for a good portion of the day and even though I give them layer feed and oyster shell I still get some eggs like you described. My guess is not quite enough calcium for whatever reason.

I do eat the thin shelled eggs unless they break before I get them to the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by