Can we get the hens to start laying again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Naamahbengals, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Naamahbengals

Naamahbengals Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    About half my adult hens were laying a couple weeks ago. Then we had a severe cold snap (for San Diego, lol - it got down to 35 degrees a few nights in a row). A few eggs were laid that week, and the week after (nice weather again).... nothing. None of them are laying now. Is it because they thing it's officially winter now?

Also, about 1mo ago, I completed my expanded coop run. (Large coop + fenced-in area for them to go out to.) Well, the only good part of the yard to put it in was under a large tree.... and I realize that the only time they get direct sun is about 2-3 hours in the morning. All other times, they are in the shade. Does this make them think that the day is shorter (even though they can 'see' direct sunlight 5ft away from them, and it's still light out)? Did I end up making them lay less eggs with their new house? There's no way for me to move the coop, and even if I could, there's no other spot to put it in the yard that's not in the way.

Is there any way to get them laying again quicker? I'd like some breakfast, and so would my man! Would putting a light on a timer help? (If so... how bright does the light need to be, and how long does it have to be on after sunset?) I'm not looking forward to the electric bill if so but I'd rather the birds 'pay their rent' (I'm buying a large bag of feed per week).

2. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    Between the weather and the coop move, it sounds to me that they are probably just a bit stressed out. They may also be going through a molt, which you may not even notice.

I don't use a light and routinely get 3-5 eggs a day from my 6 layers. I have read that a light will trick them into laying more but may not be the best for the birds health as they are being forced to lay in a natural resting period.

3. Naamahbengals

Naamahbengals Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Oh, they didn't 'move', just got a larger area added on... a bit more for them to explore. They were laying for a month after that, it's just now they stopped. I'm wondering how long until they lay again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by