Can we have adoptive mother on-hand for new chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grandpabaker, Mar 27, 2012.

1. grandpabaker

grandpabaker New Egg

Mar 27, 2012
    My wife and I are now retired and new to raising chickens. We've picked up the coop/house and ordered the first batch of 6 female chicks for delivery in mid-May; 2 Easter eggers, a Dominique, a Buff Orpington, a black Australorp, and a Delaware. We would like to add 2 or 3 Silkie females (we can't have a rooster where we live) sometime soon, but understand that Silkies can't accurately be sexed until around six months old. Should we try and get a Silkie hen (or two?) to have when the new chicks arrive in hopes that she will mother the new babies or wait until the new chicks are a few months old and try to buy and integrate the Silkies then? We could just postpone Silkies until next year, but I would have to deal with disappointed grandkids (not to mention a disappointed grandma).

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Ummm, although silkies are a very broody breed, you cannot just expect them to BE broody at the time you want 'em to be broody. It's totally hormonal.

...however that fits into your plans...

3. grandpabaker

grandpabaker New Egg

Mar 27, 2012
    Thanks for the advice. Since that makes sense to us, we've decided to get silkies into our flock by having a few delivered at the same time as our other chicks. We did find one hatchery (mypetchicken) that will sex day old bantams and has a mix of silkies and others. So we're adding a white silkie, a blue silkie, two unspecified bantams, and a 2nd Australorp. Looking forward to delivery!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by