Can we house Polish hens and bantam silkies together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by merryberry, Jan 21, 2014.

1. merryberry

merryberry Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Northeast Ohio
    We are getting three Polish chicks and three bantam silkie chicks in June. I am hoping that if they are raised together from the get-go that we'll be able to keep them together in the same coop, even though they differ in size. Is this true? If we need two separate enclosures, we will have to change our plans. (We already have one coop with 10 standard size hens).

We are getting the chicks from My Pet Chicken, specifically because they sell sexed bantam silkies, and Meyer Hatchery (which is not too too far from my house and where we usually get our chicks from) only sells straight run silkies. It does make me worry a bit because I am pretty sure that in addition to direct sales, Meyer also sells to My Pet Chicken. So I wonder how or where My Pet Chicken is getting the sexed silkies? Anyhow that is beside the point of the question of keeping them in the same coop.

Thanks for any feedback!
    Mary

2. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Absolutely! I have both in perfect harmony.

3. SlipsWife

SlipsWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    We have a mixed group and it works fine. We sold our Polish to downsize our chicken numbers (we ended up with 3 sets of breeding pairs from our Cackle Hatchery Surprise) and I miss them and their goofy head poofs! Our pullets were crazy calm, roosters (which won't be an issue for you since you seem to be getting sexed chicks) were CRAZY...they did what roosters needed to do but there was no reason to protect the girls from us! [​IMG] One of them went after our oldest son and knocked himself loopy by hitting a tree...we were worried he was really hurt at first but after 24hrs he was back to his crazy self.

4. merryberry

Jan 22, 2010
    Northeast Ohio
    Oh that is so funny!

5. merryberry

Jan 22, 2010
    Northeast Ohio
    I'm relieved to hear that we shouldn't have a problem. Thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by