can we move this coop?

kefiren

Songster
11 Years
Oct 24, 2011
On the windy MA/NH border
i'm trying to solve the problem that my coop is too far from the house in winter. when i was younger i could slog through 2 feet of snow with water buckets. but last winter i almost didn't make it when i had the flu.

i have a small chicken barn THAT I LOVE. we built it by making holes in the ground and putting posts in them for the corners and then filling the holes with dirt. the barn is made of real wood with shingle roof. it is about 12 x 12 and humans can walk around in it. it is on a dirt floor.

if a person can build the pyramids, i would assume this barn could be moved and made safe again? (ie not blow over in a nor'easter) Ideas please???

Depending on construction, disassemble and reassemble in new location.

Cutting the legs off saves the effort of jacking the legs out of the ground, but with enough money to hire someone or equipment to do it yourself, anything is possible.

Have you considered building a second "winter coop" next to the house and use the existing as the "summer coop". Not only do we need more chickens, we need more coops. :)

Cut off the legs: jack it up; Put some PVC Pipes under it with a few sheets of ply wood for a base and push it into it's new location.

Yep. We moved a big shed (probably at least twice that size) this same way. We did not have access to get a vehicle back there, so we screwed in some big eye bolts to the bottom and then used a manual winch wrapped around a big tree across the yard to pull it in the general direction we needed, with people helping to guide it and move the PVC pipes from the back to the front as it rolled along. It went WAY faster than we thought it would.

If I recall, I think we even returned the pipes after we were done.....they were not damaged or anything.

Back
Top Bottom