Can we play what is my gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LilyD, Jul 15, 2011.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Okay I have five babies who are almost 4 weeks old. I have guesses about their gender but I wanted to get some opinions from the experts.

Buff Orpington 1

[​IMG]

Not sure about this one so any ideas would be helpful

Buff Orpington 2

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

Cochin Mix one

[​IMG]

Pretty sure this one is a roo he/she acts rooish

My Easter Egger

[​IMG]

Never had one so I don't know what a 4 week roo would look like very big chick though

Cochin Mix 2

[​IMG]

Hoping this one is a girl but really not sure.

Thanks any help would be great!!

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    So far the BOs are looking girlie. But they can fool you.

3. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:I am hoping. They do have combs that are showing and next to no tail as of yet so I wasn't sure but they all chest bump and chase each other so it's very hard to tell for me since they are my first BO's.

I am pretty sure Cochin Mix one is a roo he has a comb already turning red and waddles too but the others are tricky for me

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    That's how they fool you: Girls chest bump, and Orp hens can easily be the last to get tails, unlike some other breeds. Learned that the hard way [​IMG]

5. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    My bo roo 4 weeks has a good size comb already . I think yours are pullets on the bo's anyway [​IMG]

6. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:Good I now have hope for those two, question though do girls get waddles underneath as well or just boys. These two have spots with no feathers under their chin as well. Also any ideas of the other three? I have never raised EE hens or roos so I am not sure what the difference would be for either I am hoping for a pullet and for the cochin mix two as well. Keeping my fingers crossed [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  7. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    On the EE, look at the comb. Girls will have one row of "peas" and boys will have 3.

8. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:Okay I will have to take a close look when I go out tomorrow to check on them and do the morning feeding. I am thinking one but not sure if I am remembering correctly.

9. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:Okay if a row of peas looks like . . . . on her forehead than she is a girl. Thank goodness because my kids are so attached to her already they don't want to get rid of her even if she was a boy and I already have two roosters so really don't want anymore. Going to keep my fingers crossed for the buff orpingtons and I will definitely have to rehome Opie the Cochin mix rooster. His comb is red already and he has waddles. Not sure about Cochin mix number two though I do hope it's a girl as well. I guess only time will tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by