Can we put new born chicks in with month old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Taniam, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Taniam

Taniam Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    Hi there. Just wondering if the 4 week old chicks will attack or kill the new born chicks if we put them in the crate together to grow?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've put newborns with older chicks before with no problems. Chicks are not aggressive like older chickens! Just wait for the new chicks to recover from the hatch effort and dry off and run around a bit. Otherwise the older ones will walk all over them.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have done it as well especially if older group is made up of a smaller group of individuals. Most consistent pattern with mixing age groups is if your biosecurity is not up to par like mine often is not. Older chicks may already be carrying and adapted to larger loads of cocci, so if younger chicks introduced to them they get exposure to cocci that is more rapid than I desire.

4. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    Ive done it plenty of times too. Just watch them.

5. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    Thinking of trying this. I have 3 3week old now and am getting 6 chicks mid October. I thought of keeping the new chicks in a wire dog crate in the coop with the other three. Will this work ok? The new ones will have a ecoglow 20 to keep them warm and the crate is big enough to allow them to stay away from the bigger chicks.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Yes !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by