Can we put them together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bwebb7, Mar 29, 2009.

1. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I have 6 chicks with momma and 6 chicks in the brooder they are 4 weeks old and it is very warm here. Is it ok to take mama's babies and the others and put them in an outdoor brooder?
    I have a loft area in the coop and think it would work very well and would afford the ones on the porch much more room as the brooder is pretty small.
    Is momma ready to move on and start laying again?
    It would be easier for me to keep them safer together in the predator proof coop.
    Thanks

2. ashera

ashera Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    We brood our young. Everytime we've tried to let a momma raise her own something has a snack. Unbelievable what will eat them. Had crows last year take 3 week old goslings from their mother. She was with 10 others adult geese and inside a fence inside a fence.
    Your hen will start laying again before long. Better that, than risk the other.
    Of course we basically free range here so it winds up being a "rodeo" to get the babies.........some of those little guys can run.
    I've never had a problem mixing chicks, but keep a close eye on them till you know they "play well with others".

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You can take them away. She may be a little strange for a day or so, but will forget in no time. It may take her a little bit to get back into the swing of things and start laying again. Actually it's better to put the babies together when they are young, The older they get sometimes the harder it is to put them together. At the age they are now they are just starting to establish their pecking order.

4. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Cmom is right but for future reference the mama hen will run the babies off when she is ready. Here I abserve the roo making the decision. He will pesture the hen until she runs them off. Its sad to watch the biddies for a couple of days but they eventually get the hint.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by