1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can We Revisit Sexing Geese, Please?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Ang, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    My geese are now 2 months old. The will occasionally let out a honk. They mostly just do that whispery baby sound though. I know that males usually have a higher pitched honk. My question is do the males actually honk or is it more like the whispery sound they have been making? I know I should just wait and see if I ever get any eggs to know for sure but I have no patience. LOL!

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Both males and females honk.

Males voices will be higher pitched, when they talk, compared to the females deep pitched voice.

3. Ang

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Thank you! That clears up a lot of confusion for me. I will just wait until they honk all the time. Then maybe I will know. [​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

You can also try to vent sex them. It is a lot easier than it sounds. You pick up the goose, put it on its back on your lap. Slowly spread open the vent, while gently pushing down, if it is a male a corkscrew like "thing" will pop out, if it is a female, nothing will pop out.

5. Ang

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Also, what age are they when they start to lay and will they set?

6. SundownWaterfowl

I got mine in April and they didnt lay till March the next year. They will set the first year. What breed of geese are they?

7. SundownWaterfowl

I read your sig. and saw they are 2 Toulouse geese, right?

That is what I have and breed.

8. Ang

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Quote:Yep. That's what I have. I am really enjoying them. They are such sweet things!

9. SundownWaterfowl

Yup, they are very sweet.

I took one of my own eggs and hatched it. I was hoping for a girl, but I sexed it when it was around 4 weeks, and it is a boy. Oh well...

Where did you get them from?

10. Ang

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Mine came from Cackle Hatchery. I ordered a bunch of chicks and 2 ducklings through the local farm store. They get them from Cackle. When my order finally came in at the very end of the season due to multiple mess ups I was short 2 chicks. The farm store had 2 extra goslings. So they gave me those for the price of the 2 Light Brahma chicks I was shorted. Not a bad deal!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by