Can we sell/adopt out Muscovy babies in Florida?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kitkatbahr, May 1, 2011.

1. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Hi,

I haven't been on in awhile and I know I have missed some discussions on this, but I need to know if we can sell/get adoption fee for Muscovy ducklings in Florida? My hen hatched out 18 ducklings which are purebred muscovy. I adopted two out (for free) to a friend. I am keeping at least one if not two of the hens, as I could use a few more hens, but that means I have 14 to find homes for. The guy at the feed store said I could put up a flyer on the bulletin board. I want to say there is an adoption fee, to deter people who want them for shark bait, snake food, etc. I woud like them all to go to pet homes and not get eaten (by humans or other critters). They are almost 4 weeks old.

I know there was a lot of discussion awhile back about we couldn't breed/sell or whatever the muscovies but the law hadn't gone through yet. Can anyone tell me what is up with that now?

Also, can I post them on the boards here? In the buy/sell section?

Here are some of my cuties! And that pretty girl is Mama
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Kathy
    Merritt Island, FL

Edited to add pics

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know where this stands. Wildlife started writing some legislature on regulating Muscovy ducks and one of our forum members, Jimsfarmstand, mentioned that to the chairman of the US Senate Ag committee. She wanted to know why Wildlife was trying to regulate farm animals. That comes under Agriculture.

I'm not sure of the outcome. I think she took care of it. But you probably should talk to your county extension agent, in the phone book under county government, to get the status in your state. Usually the individual state's laws are more regulated than the Federal laws.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  3. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Quote:Actually former Senator Lincoln did nothing. We replaced her. However, the American Poultry Association [​IMG] did everything.

At present Muscovy ducks CANNOT be sold as pets! Period!

Exhibition Muscovy Ducks may be sold and kept, but only as exhibition birds.

Food Muscovy Ducks may be sold and kept....BUT....only if used for meat or eggs.

So if you do not eat eggs, meat ...or....show the Muscovy Ducks you CANNOT keep the.

ALL sales must be for these purposes. Now if your buyer lies or changes their mind, you are not responsible. Just sell with a disclaimer they are for food and/or exhibition.

The USFWS are working with the USDA to transfer authority to the USDA except of feral flocks found in USFWS areas.

A BIG Thank you to the APA legislative committee!

4. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Quote:Definitely post in the BYC B/S section, just with the disclaimer.

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Hey Kathy,

just wanted to ay hi as I am also Merritt Island. Good luck finding them homes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by