Can we start in winter in Upstate NY?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CountryHillTopHomeschool, Oct 29, 2009.

1. CountryHillTopHomeschool

CountryHillTopHomeschool New Egg

Oct 29, 2009
    Hi,
    We're new here, and know almost nothing about chickens (yet). My kids and I would like to hatch some chicks this winter, grow them up in our basement, and move them outside in the springtime. We even think we could grow a small "lawn" area in the basement under lights, for the chicks to run in. Is is possible to get fertile eggs shipped to us successfully in the cold season? Has anyone tried the indoor lawn idea?
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:[​IMG]

I don't know about the indoor lawn idea, but if you have the long-term brooder space this is a great time to hatch chicks. I really wish I could because chicks you hatch now will be laying in the spring. When you get chicks in the spring they start laying just in time for the winter slow down.

As far as having eggs shipped I think I'd just put up an wtb ad in the farm and garden section of your local CL unless you have a specific breed or breeds in mind. You could also put a want ad in the buy/sell section here and see if there is anybody close who has what you're looking for. Good luck, my kids have really enjoyed our chicken adventures.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Lowes and HomeDepot both sell grow lights for plants. With 2 or 3 set up over head and spaced right I am sure with a pan and dirt and grass seed you could grow something

4. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    [​IMG]
    Once the temp drops below freezing, you risk the eggs freezing in transit. If you are going to do it, do it ASAP or buy local. Are you local to me?

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I'm originally from upstate NY and thats exactly what we did...without the lawn. [​IMG]

If you want eggs shipped though, I would get them pretty quick cause I bet you are well below freeze at night.

Good luck!!

PS...where in Upstate? We were from between Rochester and Buffalo.

6. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    That would be great for you if you can accommodate them the entire winter. They do produce a tremendous amount of dander and dust so be forewarned with them in the house. As for the lawn idea...... not needed and DEA may fly over your house with an infra red camera and see the heat emitting from your basement foundation and think you are growing the wacky weed plants. [​IMG]. But good luck in your venture. BTW where in NY are you.

7. CountryHillTopHomeschool

CountryHillTopHomeschool New Egg

Oct 29, 2009
    Thanks for all the replies so far! I wondered about the dander and etc. We have a really old country basement - wet, dirty, nothing "finished" about it [​IMG] but plenty of water supply and space. Any suggestions about keeping the dander and dust under control? When DH balked about having them in the basement, I told him that I had read about chickens in the living room... So we are still in the discussion phase. As homeschoolers, we are looking for learning experiences to stimulate the kids interest and get them reading, researching, doing science, etc. Seems like building our own incubator, and all that follows, will be great for them.

We're south of Rochester in Northern Livingston County... we recently had the copters swooping low over the cornfield right next to us, so they aren't strangers to the neighborhood!

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    The pine shavings get pretty bad. I've read about people using pine pellets instead and plan on doing that next time. I'll try anything to cut down on the dust, it gets crazy bad at around three weeks.

9. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    right now ive got 12 chickens in 3 different brooders in my living room.i use the pellets and they work great.ill never use anything else again...good luck!!

10. kathleengp

kathleengp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Where do you buy pine pellets?

I have 8 5-day-olds in my dining room now that will be wintered over in the house also. (also in upstate NY - near Syracuse) I plan on moving them to the basement when they are stable and messy. I was going to use pine shavings but it sounds like pellets are even better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by