can we talk maran blood lines

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by old mill poultry, May 14, 2009.

1. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    I know there is a maran thread but it is really so long and I just want to learn a little more about the maran blood lines especially the black copper.
    I already have some bc from valentines line which really does not tell me where they come from. I currently have some davis/wade bloodlines in the bator with some that are jean wade c1 100%.
    I have been learning a little from the jean wade line from marans usa but thought a discussion would be valuable on here on the ones that already have the different bloodlines. Would it be best to mix the different blood lines or keep the blood lines true? I prefer to keep the french standards (feathered legs) so which blood lines should I ensue.
    I also have some cuckoos from the cratty line which was suppose to be the top line in my part of the country. He actually lives about 30 min from me, too bad he gave up all his birds.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    If you want to keep with the feathered shanks and to the french standard as much as possible I'd really look over your valentines a lil more. I had pullet from that line and she looked more like a vulture than a marans, and no feathered shanks on her. I'm new to this all as well but I'm enjoying my lines from a few different breeders...still haven't decided if im going to mix lines or not [​IMG]

3. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    They are actually chicks so I will have to wait and see how they turn out. They are clean legged though and it still up in the air if they will be staying in the breed pen or the egg laying pen.

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Either way they are a great addition to the flock! [​IMG] I have a pullet right now once removed from the wade jeane line (c1) i'm debating on wether to keep her or not im hoping someone anwers my post about her. Her eye color is a bit off. She'll be a great layer if I have to remove her from the flock so I'm not really phased either way but like you I want to breed to the standard as much as I can [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by