Can we tell yet?? EE?? Rooster??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hens4Fun, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Hens4Fun

Hens4Fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    This chick is 8 weeks. It has different coloring and a different comb than my other two EE's. So I'm wondering if (1) it in fact is an EE and (2) is it going to be a roo? Last week it was fighting like I would expect of a cockerel-to-be ... this week it's as mild mannered as any of the other chicks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's still early,but:

1/ It is an EE

2/ Coloring, leg thickness and stance hints at it being a roo.

3. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    rooster

4. Hens4Fun

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    [​IMG] Sigh .. was hoping against hope I was wrong ... there's another needs to be re-homed.

5. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I'm not 100% sure on this one, but agree with Mahroni - it's most likely a roo.

The splashes of brown do hint roo and the comb is on the large side, but.... at least the comb is still pale. I've had EE pullets with that type of comb before. I had one EE pullet that really fooled me. She was quite a bit bigger than the two obvious females, had different coloring, and the wide, 3-ridge pea comb. She's still the largest, but her coloring changed and she is now a 1 year old hen. I'd wait 2 more weeks before rehoming - if it is a roo, that comb will be larger & darker by then - if it's a pullet, the comb shouldn't change much in size.

This is the chick that looked like a roo to me at 6-7 weeks (my first batch of EEs), but was actually a pullet. You can't see in the photo, but she did end up with the 3-ridge pea comb.
    [​IMG]

I knew this one was a pullet by 6 weeks because of her coloring, but she did have that large pea comb
    (I think she was about 8-9 weeks here).
    [​IMG]

This is her comb at 12 weeks - by this age, a roo's comb would be large & red.
    [​IMG]

6. Hens4Fun

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    [​IMG] ok ... maybe will wait a bit longer ... I would love to have it be a big, bossy hen ................ but after a week of being sweet, the chick today was super aggressive and picking on 9 others. This one was clearly being the boss this morning. After a week-or-so of showing no aggressive behavior whatsoever, I was hopeful, especially since the comb has not shown any red yet. But, gosh, this morning (of course, AFTER last night's post) it's either determined to be top of the pecking order, or for sure a rooster.

It's disappointing as two of eight "sexed" chicks appear to be males. Not a very good ratio. (My first flock was 1 in 9)

Add to that I have 1 Houdan and 3 Silkies which cannot be sexed yet ..... two of the Silkies being very aggressive from the get-go.

Ugh ... could have to re-home 4 ultimately! (if the sweet Houdan and Silkie turn out to be 'roos, just shoot me!). Wish I lived someplace with more space.

Ummmm, perhaps I shouldn't start with day-olds.[​IMG]

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    EE roo.

8. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    does the comb look red at all, or just more fleshy??

my 4 week old EE/leghorn roos are getting red already...

i would give it more than the 2 weeks... give it another 4.. unless it starts crowing before then and you HAVE to re-home

when my EE's were young and i first gave them room to run and play, they all play fought... i had 7 EE's and the leghorn.. out of all of them that were play fighting.. and bumping chests.. and chasing each other... 1 ended up being a roo... so don't let the attitude lead you.... we all know us girls have our share of testosterone driven attitude.. lol..

9. Hens4Fun

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    hmmmm , well ... ok .... the comb is just fleshy, no pink at all in true light and no wattles (do EE's get wattles?) If it's a female, it's one with a TON of attitude for sure! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by