Can we tell yet???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by teapot10, Jun 14, 2010.

1. teapot10

teapot10 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Eastern Oregon
    So many thanks to everyone here so far who has helped me determine the sex of my EE's....these two were questionable last week...are these better shots to tell if they are roo's? Their combs are much darker and larger than any of my other EE's and I'm thinking that could mean roo? Also, do you think the SLW on the right could be a roo?

SPIDERMAN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JUNIOR
    [​IMG]

SLW
    [​IMG]

And many of you told me that Bandit was a roo a few weeks back...I think it's probably safe to say it's definite now...he will be 9 weeks on Thursday
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I agree those three EEs are all boys. I can't tell, but does one of those SLW have a straight comb?

They are what age?

3. teapot10

Apr 15, 2010
    Eastern Oregon
    Quote:Here's another pic...I'm VERY new to chickens so I'm not sure what you mean by straight comb, the bird on the right is the one I think could be a roo...the SLW's are 9 weeks today.
    [​IMG]

4. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Ah! Well, you see how the one has a short, flat, wide comb? That is a rose comb and correct for the breed.

The one with a serrated upright comb like a bread knife is the straight comb, and incorrect for the breed. Both appear to be pullets if they are 9 weeks.

5. teapot10

Apr 15, 2010
    Eastern Oregon
    So the one on the right is a pullet but not a SLW?

6. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:No, they are both SLWs-- sometime SLWs just have the "wrong" comb type.

7. teapot10

Apr 15, 2010
    Eastern Oregon
    So, Spiderman, Junior & Bandit are roos....and the 2 SLW's are both pullets, just with different combs?

8. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    That's what I'm seeing- it may help if you give a good side shot of the tails of the SLW.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by