Can White Orpingtons be used to make red sex-links?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cowgirl71, May 15, 2010.

1. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    They are not mentioned on Tadkerson's sticky. I'm curious if they carry the silver gene...

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I would doubt it. I'm pretty sure they are one of those recessive white breeds that don't have the silver genes like Javas, Giants, Wyandottes, Ameraucanas, ect...

3. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Thanks!

4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I agree with RAREROO, but some might [​IMG]

5. ChickFarmer

ChickFarmer Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    You can tell if a white bird carries silver at day old. They will have some silver gray on the down. The silver gene is used in some white birds to get a cleaner white.

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:But they could just be Silver Based black under the white and still not work to make sexlinks. Like with White Javas and White Giants, they hatch out a smokey grey color and feather out to be white. And they are masking black under the White and wouldnt work to make Sexlinks.

7. ChickFarmer

May 22, 2010
    I havent had either of those breeds do they hatch out with penguin pattern down? If so red and silver could show on the face.

8. ChickFarmer

May 22, 2010
    OP, perhaps you will just have to do a test mating.

9. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:I was asking because I was going to buy some hens from a lady who was downsizing her flock. The only reason I would want the White Orpingtons would be to make Sexlinks, so I didn't get them (I bought all of her Barred Rocks though [​IMG]). The lady had three White Orps at the time, but since then a fox got one of them, and one of them flipped a black rubber pan over on herself and fried herself in the August heat... So she only has one White Orp hen left, but my coops are all full. [​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Some white birds have barring in them, so who knows, it doesn't hurt to try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by