Can white wing tips suddenly show up on a 6 month old Australorp?

Nonny

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I got my three Australorps at the end of April this year, and I'm guessing they were around 18 weeks old at the time. They were black all over - with the rust tint on the chest, and the green sheen on the other feathers.

Yesterday I saw a very noticeable WHTE wingtip on one of the girls! I'm out there with them daily, and can't understand how I missed this very obvious bit of white for over two months now. Can it just suddenly appear like that? Perhaps the feather in question was previously hidden behind the others? In case it's relevant, it's Penny, who has only just this week started laying.

Last edited:
Im not sure about the white feather but if she had rust color feathers on her chest she is not an Australorp she is a black sex link. Australorps are all black with a green sheen and black sex links have the brown rust color feathers on the chest with a green sheen.

Well I just learned something! :-( They're hybrids. I just checked the website of the company I got them from and they're listed as "The beautiful and popular Black Australorp Hybrid is a cross between an Isabrown and black Australorp."

That explains the rust then, but how about the white bits?

(Not that it really matters as I'm not breeding them and they're only for pets/eggs.)

91980_closeup.jpg

Last edited:
I have had white flight feathers show up on some of mine but they lost them when they got older.
So i believe it is normal from what i have here.
DSC00082.jpg

ISA Browns have quite a bit of white in their feathering, as the mix that is used to create them is white and red.

Thus, a hybrid of Aussie/ISA will create a bird who's make up is 1/4 white bird in heritage. I'd not be too awful surprised to see the white show somewhere, sometime.

I believe that combination of Aussie/ISA would be a pretty good bird, great layer and good temperament. Interesting hybrid.

Ya know after looking at that hen on the left it looks like a jersey giant in the face but i do nort know what isabelas look like as i never owned any

Back
Top Bottom