1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can/will hens fly over a 4 foot high fence?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CountryBoy16, Feb 22, 2013.

1. CountryBoy16

CountryBoy16 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2013
    I am looking to expand my chickens' area by fencing in half of my yard. I have a 4 foot chain link fence already in place and i was hoping i could just connect to it. I know that my larger hens will not be able to fly over but i am not sure about some of the smaller ones. All will have a wing clipped and the area that they will be in is very large, around 200 square feet, so I dont even think that they would have any desire to leave. However I would just like to know if anyone knows for sure, Thanks.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If their wings are clipped they probably won't go over it... but at four feet, it's an easy jump for any predator.

3. mjanderson437

mjanderson437 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    I have a 1080 sqft run w 6 ft high fence everywhere but the 4 ft gate and my bantam easily hopped out yesterday. But, she doesn't have her wing clipped.

4. Sherrillk

Sherrillk Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    Hi...hate to burst your bubble but I clipped one side of the flight feathers of all my girls and I still find two (of the six) of them over the 5' fence into the front yard. My other girls seem happy to stay behind where they free range. I understand that sometimes after clipping, hens will strengthen their muscles on the other side so as to still be able to fly. Looks like I will have to try clipping the other side as well and hope for the best. With any luck, I won't have to raise the fence! Best wishes to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by