Can worms cause cold like symptoms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sanna, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Sanna

Sanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I have a flock of silkies and a couple of cochin bantams. We also have two female turkeys in the same coop. It is built so that there is a wall in between, turkeys on one side, silkies & cochins on other. Basically they share the same air, germs and all.
    I clean their coops on a regular basis. They get fresh water and food daily.

It all started out with our very old male turkey, he had the sniffles. Coughing and sneezing, seemed like an upper respiratory infection. He had had a limp for quite a long time before any of the sneezing etc started. I'm pretty sure he hurt his leg somehow....or maybe it was the old age, I don't know? He was old. Within a week he was so weak, barely standing...and if he was standing, his balance was very poor. Farm owners thought it was the old age with an upper respiratory infection. They put him down because he was going downhill so fast instead of having a vet come over and put him through all kinds of stress. They don't get handled much..

Couple weeks later one of the silkie pullets got a runny nose, started coughing and sneezing. I put her in quarantine. She also had some bubbles coming out of her right eye. I gave her Aureomycin. About a week went by. It did nothing. Eye got better though. I also kept giving her VetRX. Then we gave her Tylosin 200. Tylan 50 was recommended but a vet tech that works on the farm brought Tylosin instead. Apparently it is equal to Tylan, just different dosage. I don't know anything about all these meds so I took her word. That didn't seem to do anything either. At that point I found more birds in the coop sneezing and with runny noses. Those were their only symptoms. I was thinking they had a cold bug going around, it had been very cold and rainy and they had been outside getting wet. So I put the pullet back outside in the coop with the rest of the flock due to the setup we have...it was difficult to keep her quarantined. I figured, if there were more sick birds, they would all already have the bug and she couldn't get any other birds sick. By this time the eye was better, just the runny nose and sneezing remained.

At this point someone here on the forum suggested getting a humidifier with Oxine. I did this. Runny noses and sneezing cleared.

The female turkey is still making an odd noise...sort of like a raspy cough/sneeze, I think. And the pullet makes an odd sound. It's not a sneeze....and I can't think of a word to use to describe it. Maybe I'll trim her feathers around the face to make sure this is not annoying her.

But I'm still wondering about the turkey! And the pullet.. Today I found a VERY broody hen in there also....with raspy breathing. Upper respiratory infection, I think. Again. [​IMG]I added the Aureomycin in their feed, this has worked for URI's in the past. I just hope she gets up and eats being that she's broody.. I'll make her get up but she's pretty determined on sitting on a bunch of nothing. We collect eggs every day but every time one of the hens lays an egg, she grabs it.

Could any kind of a worm or a paracite cause these cold like symptoms with the turkey??
    As soon as I can get out there in the coop, I will strip it of everything and spray it with Oxine. Of course with this storm Nemo hitting us, I might not get it done tomorrow... Hopefully Sunday. I live on a large farm with close to 60 horses and over a 100 smaller animals.

Help!!!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I have never heard of worms causing upper respiratory symptoms but hopefully someone else will know for sure. Chickens don't get a cold virus - when they are sneezing and congested they have a respiratory infection, not a virus. Which antibiotic will work for a given infection depends on what strain of infection it is. Denagard is the one that I have had the best success with, when it comes to respiratory symptoms, such as you are describing.

Turkeys do seem to be more prone to worms than chickens, but if you are not seeing evidence of worms at this time, I would not try worming them until you have the respiratory symptoms cleared up as it may be too much for their system. Roundworms are the only ones you can see actually IN the poop - if they have a gutload of roundworms, they will expel live worms in their poop and you will see them moving around in the poop for several minutes before they die. (Tapeworms can also be seen, looking like a grain of rice, but poultry do not often get tapeworms). Since there can be other types of worms that cannot be seen with the naked eye, seeing no evidence of worms in the poop does not mean they don't have them. If the poop is very watery in a turkey, I would suspect worms.

1 person likes this.
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Respiratory diseases can strike at anytime even if strict biosecurity measures are followed and even if chickens have been wormed. It would be very easy for a wild bird to introduce something to a flock of chickens. Keep in mind though that worms weaken a chickens immune system making chickens more susceptable to diseases.
    Tylan and tylosin are the same. Tylan 200 is more potent than tylan 50. I'm wondering how you administered the tylan; was it given by injection, given orally or given as a soluable powder mixed in water? Injection is best, sick birds wont drink meds mixed in water. If they do drink, it's usually not enough to be effective. I wouldnt give tylan 200 orally, it would be too harsh on their guts. If you injected the tylan, you shouldve seen improvement by the second day.
    The aureomycin that I've always seen is a soluable powder mixed in water. Your birds probably didnt drink it because they were too sick.
    Denagard treats mycoplasma diseases in chickens. Hopefully the oxine will work for you, that in combination with tylan 200 injections. If they dont, I recommend that you have a necropsy performed on one of your birds. Your other option is to cull them.

4. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
  5. Sanna

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    We did the Tylan 200 orally. That was recommended by a person on this forum. I've never done injections, so I didn't dare start experimenting. I had no idea it was too harsh on their guts. [​IMG]
    The Aureomycin we use is a crumble you mix in with their feed. They're all eating it well. They're also drinking plenty of water, the amount they do on a normal day. So I don't think they're too sick to drink or eat. It's just the sneezing that hasn't gone away that's causing me to scratch my head at this point.
    Maybe I'll order some Denagard and see if that works. If that doesn't work, I'm calling the vet. I don't want to cull any birds yet, but if that'll be the only thing left to do then so be it.

What would you guys suggest for a wormer? I have Wazine, but that only works for roundworms.
    How about the Worminator? http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies....in_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=584 Gets rid of all worms according to this page.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I'm not sure about Worminator, never used it. Safeguard liquid goat wormer or safeguard equine paste might be a good choice for you. Here's a link about Worminator by others here in BYC:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/587307/does-anyone-use-worminator
    I've recommended tylan 50 injectable that can be given orally, I've done it with positive results on chickens. I dont believe I've ever recommended the tylan 200 be given orally though...too potent. Denagard can be ordered from QC Supply, it's not cheap.

7. Sanna

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I'll have to get some Tylan 50 and try that first. What would you use for a dosage? For some reason I have .25cc in my mind for Tylan 50? Is that the proper amount?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I suspect bacterial and histomoniasis infections when I see abnormal poop in turkeys and/or peafowl, but that's because I've had too many confirmed cases of it.

Personally, whenever I have a sick one, I de-worm it with Safeguard for Goats/Cattle (fenbendazole 100mg/ml) 50mg/kg ( .5cc/kg) by mouth and repeat in ten days. Worming hasn't killed one of mine yet, so when in doubt, worm and dust for mites/lice with poultry dust.

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I don't have a ton of experience with turkeys but was told by someone who does that watery poop usually means worms. I dunno.

The experience I had was that I had a tom turkey who was declining daily as I watched. His poop was watery and he was also very lethargic - spent most of the time sitting around and seemed to get tired from the slightest effort. I wormed and within 24 hours he was eating with gusto, poop had firmed up and he never looked back.

To the OP, the best (as in most effective and easiest to administer) wormer I have found to date is Ivermectin. It treats for every kind of worm except tapeworms (which poultry are not susceptible to anyway), if I am remembering correctly. You can use the injectable in the water, at a rate of 4cc per gallon. You want to remove all other water sources and leave only the medicated water for two full days. The injectable is not cheap but you use so little that a bottle goes a long way. Prior to worming I had the above mentioned turkey, plus I was seeing live roundworms in the poop of some of my hens. I took away all other water, filled my 5-gallon waterer, added the Ivermectin, and left it until they drained it (which took just about exactly two days). The turkey showed noticeable improvement within 24 hours of starting the treatment and I haven't seen a live roundworm since (this was about 6 months ago).

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by