Can you add eggs to the bator at different times?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Smitty's Farm, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    In a perfect world I would have all my eggs to set into the bator at one time, but is it ok if I don't. I will most likely be using the old Brower that was posted as "scary bator" and will have to hand turn the eggs.

Is there a time frame of opportunity you can or can't add more eggs to the bator after the first batch is set?

I know I've read to stop turning the eggs at day 18 and try to keep the bator closed to keep humidity balanced. Will it hurt not turning the second batch for a few days?

Please give me guidance before I take the hatching plunge.

Thanks,
    Kim

2. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Bump....can anyone help clarify this?????????

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I have done it this way successfully, although I am sur eothers have a better suggestion for you, if you have two bator available. I have put them in a week apart and got good hatches...

4. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    If you only have a couple days apart it is not a big deal. If you are planning a couple weeks apart that is something you really want to try to avoid. The first 18 day you want the humidity to be around 50%. The last 3 to 4 days you want it around 65 to 70%. The higher humidity is not going to be real good on the younger eggs and if you keep opening the bator to turn the younger eggs you will loose the humidity that the older ones need to hatch. You are not going to have very good hatches if you put them together. You might want to build a bator to use as a hatcher. Jenn

5. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Tiffany, thank you. I'm in the process of lining up hatching eggs, but they may be available and come in at different times, so I just want to be organized.

I only have one bator at the moment, but will be receiving one from my sister also sometime in the future.

Anyone else out there do staggered setting of eggs to hatch?

6. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:Jenn, thank you so much. That helps a lot w/ the planning of egg arrival. I guess I need to go and read more about where I need to keep my humidity & temp levels. Maybe it will work out that I'll have a second incubator available if the deliveries are to far apart.

Thanks again! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by