Can you add eggs to the incubator????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shangri-lafarms, Jul 31, 2008.

1. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    Here is a hypothetical scenario::: I am new to hatching/Incubating, so I got to thinking and I am wondering this, can you pen up a roo with hens and take their eggs daily assuming they are fertile and add them to already incubating eggs....I am assuming I would do this if possible daily for a few days in order to obtain a dozen or so eggs....Thanks for all your knowledge and help...as I have never been dissapointed by any responses.....This board is great I love everyone:jumpy:clap:D

2. IloveTravis

IloveTravis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    This would work, until the eggs started hatching. The eggs that were put in first would end up hatching while the ones who were put in a day or so afterward would still be in their eggs. So while the baby chickies were galavanting around inside the incubator the other eggs might get knocked around left and right. [​IMG]

3. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    yep, you'll have staggered hatches. you can build a hatcher to move them to for the last three days or you can play with fire and let them hatch with the ones that aren't ready. i did this time. but there are stories out there about the other eggs not making it because of bacteria or something form the hatch mess. but i think if they were just a few days apart it would be okay.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  4. shangri-lafarms

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    Yeah, I was wondering about that, can you take them out of the incubator and into the brooder one by one????? Or is that just a PIA???? [​IMG]

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    If you are going to collect over a few days you should put them in a cool room and turn them until you collect the amount you want to incubate, you can do this for 7 days, after this time viability declines. If you put them in the bator you end up with a staggered hatch and would need to get a hatcher. This is because the higher humidity required the last 3 days will harm the eggs that are further behind. Also I don't know how long the roo needs to be with the hens before you get fertilized eggs.
    Krista
    check this out, very informative http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/hatch.htm
    there
    are a few others too

6. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I am also new to hatching, and have only done it once so far (in process on clutch #2) but I would GUESS you would want to hold your eggs for a few days.. say collect eggs for 5 days or so and then set them all at once.

I don't think that there would be anything too wrong with what your doing other than the following:

each day you add cool eggs, of course if they are fresh they are still kinda warm, which cools off the bator & could slow the development of eggs already in there

but my biggest thing would be that if you did that for 7 days say.. adding the days eggs.. then you would also hatch for 7 days.. which would be EXHAUSTING to me

I'm sure there are plenty of qualified opinions coming soon...

7. shangri-lafarms

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    Quote:Wow 7 days [​IMG] I knew there must be some way i just wasn't sure, Thanks everyone for your help [​IMG]

8. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    I have two homemade ones one is for the first days and the other only when they hatch because of the humity change. Some people might not agree but it works. I got aloy hatching on differant days like that. Hope i wrote this right

9. shangri-lafarms

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    wow that's cool I never thought of that

10. kathnkyle

kathnkyle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2008
    Dorset, England
    I have staggered hatches to as i am too addicted and keep buying more and more fertile eggs lol so i have bought 2 bators one for the first few weeks and one to hatch them! my very first lot are on day 19 and I really cant wait lol!!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by