can you all give me an idea of which sex these chicks are?

Mom2Cool

Crowing
15 Years
May 8, 2008
Hi, I'm just reposting this myself here because I'd put it in the wrong place the first time and I just wanted to know what I've got here and if I need to start over with raising etc. I'm too new to this and haven't a clue what I'm doing really and so please be kind if it's too early for this. I've 2 Barred Rocks & 2 black Australorps

They should be 3 weeks old now and I'll put a few pics here to see if anyone can tell who's who & what sex please? Thanks in advance for any help.

img_06742.jpg

of the 2 Astralorps one has more light coloring on it's face still and is how I'm able to tell them apart. that picture was the best I could get of the darker faced one

img_06833.jpg

the Barred Rocks are near impossible to tell apart still or for me.

img_06832.jpg

the 2 of them together

img_06772.jpg

img_06762.jpg

Again thanks for any help I appreciate it.

Ok well frankly I think it makes me feel a little better just knowing that all my uncertainty isn't just plain novice/denial on my part. I'd actually been thinking this very same thing and then I think "well you don't know what you're looking at anyway".

I wish I wasn't so anxious about all this. How do the rest of you all handle the possibility of roos in the group of chicks you want to be pullets?

when do the combs start to turn red? 1 of the BR's looks like his/her comb is tinted red on the sides. If they have an early comb developing does that have any significance when it comes to gender?

Wow, I have several mystery chicks that look just like your black ones- ha- you may have solved the mystery! Mine are a tad older, but I am starting to see a difference in comb size also- ergh- I too was hoping for all pullets!

Thanks for posting those pics!

You're unsure of your chicks that are black? Mine are black Australorps or that's what I was told I was buying. LOL I suppose a person could REALLY take advantage of a novice like me. But I have to say that so far the black chicks have followed exactly as the black Australorps are suppose to & they'd started with light on their faces which is disappearing or fading. I think the one that still had the lighter face is the female. If you have black Australorps I have to tell you that mind have their feathers growing in and they are truly already just lovely. Shiney black and already a bit of a sheen to them just georgous! The BR's I love em I do & they're just georgous too with actual bars.... LOL It was weird today though when I started to notice that the comb looks like it's turning red. Someone on another thread told me it's too early to tell. We shall see. Wouldn't life be so much easier if we just got what we wanted? LOL though I guess it's more interesting with those monkey wrenches thrown in huh?

Back
Top Bottom