can you all tell me about Silkie Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cat1994, Oct 30, 2010.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I want to use 4 Silkie hens as broodies to raise wyandotte chicks and call ducklings.
    Are they good moms to ducklings?
    Do they get messy easily?
    Are they easy to tame?
    Do I have to move the broody hen and eggs to her own lil house, even if it will just be her and 3 other silkie hens is a big coop and run?

Thanks to any one that helps

2. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    come on no one has silkies, that cant be right

3. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Quote:Be patient! lol It has only been 20 minutes! I dont know how they are with ducklings but they do get messy especially with the feathered feet. They are the easiest chickens to tame that I have had! I would separate her to a broody house.

4. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    [​IMG] Thank you and sorry [​IMG] . Im just really exsited about this whole silkie thing and I want to learn more about them [​IMG] I will try to be more patient next time [​IMG] thanks

5. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    they are all that and they are messy

6. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    "Yes" to all the above.

Silkies are the classic choice for "pet" chickens because they enjoy human interaction in general. They are docile, cuddly, and friendly by nature. They have a strong motherly instinct and will tend to adopt anything. I don't find them too horrible at being messy, myself, but you do have to watch out for their feathered feet. Also keep in mind that their downy feathers can't repel rain and mud as well as the usual chicken feathers. So keep them dry.

As for keeping them together, you may or may not have a problem with the other hens. Personally, I move broodies and their eggs as a precautionary measure to give them some peace and quiet. You could set up a separate little pen WITHIN the coop to keep them all together but bar the other hens from bothering the broody if you end up having a problem with that.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  7. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    right now I have seven broodies. 3 silkies, 3 frizzles, and one new hampshire. It seems to me that some are more inclined to mother hood than others the blue frizzle has been broody since march.

8. aaron2000

aaron2000 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    I went onto google and I found out that silkie chickens are the easiest chickens to tame. From what I've found out. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. prairiehen74369

prairiehen74369 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    north east oklahoma
    My silkies are better than an incubator this season one hatched three peacock eggs no problem she probably could have set on four( I'll try that next year.) Super good Mamas if you don't let them mother what they hatch out they will go back to setting. They do require a little special attention wet and cold are their enemy. Their downy feathers soak up water like a sponge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by