*Can You Articially Inciminate Chickens??*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tripp16, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hope this is the right place. I was thinking though (I know weird thoughts... Lol ) but can you Articially inciminate a hen?

If so how would you collect the sperm?

I know this is weird but I breed dogs and we do that with them. [​IMG]

2. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

They do it all the time

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yes you can, well know breeders have been doing it for decades, heck I do it on my SQ Cornish as a regular program to get better breeding control.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Id rather have the rooster do it. [​IMG]

5. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG] How do you do get the sperm from the rooster? I mean they are definitley not like my dogs. [​IMG]

6. bantiehen

bantiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Montana
    there's a good video on Youtube that shows ya how to collect the roosters sperm. and then when you get ready to inseminate the hen it shows you that to.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

youtube video to show and explain........

8. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Wow that is amazing and kine of gross. I was thinking of doing it from bantam roo Paisley to one of my LF hens. Im not sure though it may be to hard..... [​IMG]

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    There are several different technics and it just depends on what is easiest and what you feel comfortable with. Going from LF to Bantam or vise versa doesn't matter, but why would you I am interested to hear why the size swap in the birds.

10. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Well I was wanting to breed my best layer with my bantam roo mainly because I hope the size might decrease and I would have a bantam/LF that lays alot of eggs. Alot of my bantams do lay good but not as good as my big hens.

Am I in the wrong for thinking this? I was wondering if it would mess the offspring up?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by