Can you be sure on sex at 13 weeks? Are we roos?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by undergroundchickens, Jun 8, 2010.

1. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    I have just six chickens. They are my first feathered friends. Here they are enjoying the yard looking for a few bugs to eat. They are getting big.

[​IMG]

I am worried about two of them. All the chickens have their big girl voices. They can easily bock when needed. It is very rare to hear a chirp anymore. I have not heard any of them trying to crow so I thought I was in the clear for no roos....I have started to have some doubts though.

Here is the first. It is an EE. 13 weeks old. Is it a pullet or a roo? It's pea comb has started to grow a little and turn pink. Much bigger than my other EEer as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And next, one of my barred rocks. Its comb looks the same as the other BR I have but I noticed that her tail is starting to look a little curly. Is it a pullet or a roo? This one is my most friendly chicken....she loves to follow me all over the yard and sit on my shoulder. I sure hope it isn't a he. [​IMG] I can't have a roo giving me away to the neighbor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for letting me know what you think. I appreciate it.

2. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I *think* they're both pullets. Not good w/EEs, though.

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    First ones a hen. second is a roo.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That's a gorgeous flock you have there!!

The EE is a pullet, and I'm not positive, but I kinda think your BR is a cockerel. Sorry!

5. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I vote pullet for both.

6. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Not much experience with this, but your BR looks just like my 12 week old BR, who is supposed to be a pullet. So here's hoping!
    Not gonna guess on the EE. It wouldn't be a very educated guess.

7. luvmypyr

luvmypyr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Rushville, Ohio
    i vote pullets .... i have 15 br roos ( packing peanuts) that are several weeks younger than yours and they all "look" noticably rooster ..so i would think at 13 weeks she/he would be more roosterish.. mine all have lighter hackles and saddle feathers poking through and yours is still considerably dark.. BUT i am nooo expert...

8. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    I guess it is still to early to be sure then? Man, this guessing game is killing me. My kids and I are already very attached to the "girls". I sure hope we don't have to get rid of some of them.

9. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    She looks just like my BR hens did when they were that age... I don't see why people are guessing roo on her. Aren't BR roos much lighter in coloring?

10. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    EE is a pullet. Looks just like my EE pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by