Can you breed a serama with old english game bantam?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rooster brandon., Nov 27, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Can you breed a serama with old english game bantam does anyone have any pics of this if you can breed them together?(Just curios.)

2. chickadiddle

chickadiddle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    I think so.

3. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    ould the outcome be a smaller old english game bantam with a upright tail and vertical wings?

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

It could indeed.

5. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i'm sure some people have done that to try to get smaller OEGB.... the thing some people hate about suramas is the fact that you never know the colors you're gonna get... so they breed them with say, a duckwing roo, and keep the smallest duckwing offspring...

also...

isn't mixing how they got frilled and silkied suramas too...? breeding in the trait...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I believe the trait (gene) for frizzle and silkied feather seramas is in the breed. Many other breeds (I think even some ducks) carry the gene - sooner or later it expresses itself and people breed selectively to intensify that. Seramas were NOT bred to Silkies to get the feather trait. I tried telling that to a chicken owning friend many, many times and yet she still expected her silkied seramas to look like a smaller Silky(breed)

I know very little about the game breeds but, I would think breeding to seramas might lessen the aggression factor if that's what you are aiming for.

7. coldwetnoz

coldwetnoz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Sure you could do it easily. Seramss are also similar to Japanese bantams. High tails and low bodies, short legs. But why don't you just get more Seramas and keep it pure? You might breed out some of their best qualities. I love Seramas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by