1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you breed chickens?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hollychicken, Apr 21, 2012.

1. hollychicken

hollychicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Smiths Falls , Canada
    Yes, I know that you can breed chickens but do you just put a rooster in with a couple hens or with just one hen and how do know if the egg has a baby inside? And what if the egg does have a baby inside but the hen does not keep sitting on it and I have no incubator should I just consider the chick inside dead or is there an another way ???

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    You an have a couple hens with one rooster or you can have one hen with one rooster. The hen will not sit on the eggs unless she is broody. So you won't have any development. Good luck Michele

3. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I have one rooster & 1 hen, and lots of fertilized eggs, they are just as good to eat as non fertilized eggs. Sold about 10 doz to a variety of people who had incubators. About 5 weeks ago one of my BO hens went Broody, but was being pestered so much by the other hens, she left her three eggs, one was fertile. [​IMG]

Then she had 6 eggs, and was again being pestered, so I quick built her a broody house, and put her & the eggs in it. On Mon., Tues. & Wed. She hatched out 4 chicks, [​IMG] two she kicked out a few days after she was moved. Both were fertile [​IMG]

My second hen who went broody, started with 6 eggs, then up to 9 eggs, last week she had 14 & when I moved her to her new broody house (also being pestered by hens) last night, she was on 19 eggs. The first 6 are due to hatch on Tues.

So unless you have a hen who is sitting on a nest & will not get off, just gather the eggs for your eating pleasure. Once you get a hen who wants to sit, make sure her nest box is low to the ground, or give her a place to brood by herself.

Fertile eggs are in a state of suspended animation until they have consistent heat from an incubator or a broody hen, then development begins. That is why I leave eggs on the counter for a week, just in case I get a call from someone wanting eggs for hatching. They can still be hatched after setting for a week. After a week I eat them or give them to my neighbors for eating.

Hope one of your hens goes broody soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by