Can you breed rangers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickenjoe, Jan 22, 2010.

1. chickenjoe

chickenjoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Can you breed them or would their off spring be a mix of what ever the two species that were crossed.

2. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I'm pretty sure only one species in involved in creating Rangers.

Rangers shouldn't breed true, though there should be similarities between parents and offspring. There has been a bit of talk about trying this, but so far as I can remember no one has reported any results here. I hope to give it a try this year and expect that others will too. I hope there will be better answers for you in a few months.

Tim

3. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I have a friend on another board that says they have kept over FR and bred them. They laid well and the first generation hatchlings were as nice as the parent stock. They held some over from the hatch for a 2nd generation breeding, but lost those to predators.

However, they were quite happy with the first attempt and are repeating the process this season. Of course, they have a new predator-proof set-up this year.

4. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    I'm going to give it a go as well, it will be a fun project.

5. chickenjoe

Apr 22, 2009
    Quote:I'm pretty sure only one species in involved in creating Rangers.

Rangers shouldn't breed true, though there should be similarities between parents and offspring. There has been a bit of talk about trying this, but so far as I can remember no one has reported any results here. I hope to give it a try this year and expect that others will too. I hope there will be better answers for you in a few months.

Tim

Thats good to know some of the articles I read mention they were hybrids, so I wasn't sure. Just shows you can't believe everything on the net.

6. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Quote:I'm pretty sure only one species is involved in creating Rangers.

[​IMG]

7. chickenjoe

Apr 22, 2009
    Quote:I'm pretty sure only one species is involved in creating Rangers.

[​IMG]

Ok I see the error, it should have been breeds and not species

8. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I didn't get it at first... O well... species, breeds, things....they are all chickens.

They would probably breed very close to the offspring. They aren't as bad as the cornish x rocks. But you would still need to be strict on only using the biggest and the best for breeding.

9. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Quote:Oh, well. At least you know your chemistry. [​IMG]

10. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    I plan on breeding a Black Ranger over RIR hens. Also a Sussex over ranger hens, and a BO over ranger hens. I am hoping to keep the vigor this way by using a few breeds, may not work, but I will have to see. My Sussex cockerel is 9 pounds and on his way to 10, and he grew very fast, almost as fast as the rangers. I will be using one of his offspring for the breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by