Can you breed Red Rangers and a question about red bourbon turkeys...?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Feike, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Feike

Feike Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Lander, Wyoming

I Have a question...how do the hatcheries breed Broilers?
    Are we able to breed Red Rangers naturally ourselves, but also are we able to breed for instance the red bourbon turkey ourselves....if so is there anyone that sells these turkey eggs? My adopted hen 'baby' has felt very lonely since her Tom died

Since certain birds are too big to breed, are these the birds breeds that are too big or can they naturally breed like regular birds...

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Bourbon Red turkeys are sustainable and will breed themselves...Meat birds that are born of hatcheries are not born from a pen of the offspring..it is be mixing a few mixes, and then the offspring of that is what gives you the broilers they have. So it isn't a red ranger mom and a red ranger dad...It will be like a CornishxRIR mom and something else mixed as the dad...Or something like that. I don't know the formula...but that is the way they do it. The broilers are the offspring, but the parents aren't as great for eating as the broilers are...so on and so forth. If you breed the broilers you will end up with all manner of mixes I would think. Since the parents and offspring are all mixes. Nothing would end up the same as the first generation that you bought from the hatchery...
    I hope that made sense. Bourbon Red turkeys are a heritage breed and should have no issue breeding...
    It is all the bronze breasted turkeys that get too big to breed...the Broad Breasted Bronze, and the Broad Breasted White.

1 person likes this.
  3. Feike

Feike Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Lander, Wyoming
    That is awesome info thank you....so if I did breed the Red Rangers it'll be a different kind of bird is what you are saying....but are they still going to be okay meatbirds and grow as fast is what I'm still wondering?

4. ijon

ijon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    I crossed a Freedom Ranger hen with a Dark Cornish rooster and got a outstanding hen. She has the weight of the Freedom Ranger and is a laying machine, She has layed all winter.

SwedishFlower13 likes this.
  5. dsstroyer

dsstroyer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2012
    Quote:Did you try to eat any of the crosses? Did they taste as good as the RR or tender? Thanks

6. ijon

ijon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    I have not yet, because I lost my rooster. I have more red rangers, My plan is to cross her back with one of the roosters.

7. dsstroyer

dsstroyer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2012
    Thanks, let me know. So you had no problem getting the ranger to lay, any leg problems?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by