can you breed SHOWGIRL TO SHOWGIRL roo

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Blueroo63, May 13, 2009.

1. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    or is it goning to be like with frizzles ,show i breed the new showgirls to my show quality white roo ,or with a white showgirl roo,have both to pick from.if i put the silkie roo on the showgirls then i run the silkie girl with the showgirl roo,not sure how they all
    work,please advise thanks

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    noooo you should not breed to showgirls together, it ruins there feather quielity.

3. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    You should breed 1 showgirl to a silkie. To keep there feather beautiful.

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I haven't heard of any problems with showgirl x showgirl.... as long as both of good quality. If the showgirls are not that many generations removed from the first cross, poor feathering and type may show up but shouldn't be an issue if they are from at least several generations of breeding to a good typy silkie.

One comment that does show up is that some feel showgirls pure for the naked neck gene are "too naked" for their tastes but it's mostly personal taste probably.

Other than the naked neck and assuming the showgirls are from good stock, it is just like breeding any two silkies together.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I agree with Kev; however I have heard that if you don't occasionally breed back to silkie they tend to lose type. It doesn't have anything to do with feather quality; Shay, I think you are confusing showgirl with frizzle.

6. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    No, I know that im talking about a showgirl to a showgirl, From what i have learned, It is best to breed a showgirl with a silkie. Becouse if you breed a showgirl with a showgirl it may mess up the faethering on the neck, they could come out with feathering on the neck.

But everyone has different ways on breeding, all i can offer is my oppion what i belive.

7. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:Thats what i mean, they can tend to get less feathering in the neck.
    so if one is looking for great quiality i think it is best to breed showgirl to silkie.

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Showgirl to Showgirl results in more "nakedness" of the neck. The more you breed showgirls to showgirls, the more naked they become.

Breeding a Showgirl to a Silkie results in the "bowties".

It doesn't have anything to do with feather structure like frizzle to frizzle breeding, but rather the amount of feathering on the neck.

If you like a more naked neck without the bowtie, breed showgirl to showgirl for a generation or two, then back to a Silkie to prevent TOO MUCH nakedness.

If you like the bowties, breed Showgirls to Silkies. Of course this renders 50% Silkies with feathered necks, and 50% Showgirls.

9. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    I agree with Chris, showgirl x showgirl (if they're both het for nn) will not effect the feather quality. If you want to improve the type on the showgirls, you can breed them to typey silkies.

silkie x het sg = 50% silkie, 50% het sg
    het sg x het sg = 25% silkie, 50% het showgirl, 25% hom showgirl.
    het sg x hom sg = 50% het sg, 50% hom sg
    hom sg x hom sg = 100% hom sg
    silkie x hom sg = 100% het sg

10. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    Thank you all so very much for your input,
    and I have a greater understanding of what i want now,
    my new showgirls have quite a bit of neck 2 with bowtie and 2 ptty necked I think it's cute but I also agree they should go with the silkies

so my showgirls will go with my SQ silkie roo's

and my SQ silkie girls will go with my showgirl roo's

this was kinda my thinking but want you'll oppioin and again I think you all and GOD Bless you all for your time Glenda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by