can you brood CornishX with turkeys?

pfoster

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 15, 2013
We have raised cornishx meaties before, but never any turkeys. This year we want to add a few turkeys to the cornishx order and brood them together. Is this even possible? Do the turkeys have different temperature needs than the chickens? We are trying to simply the process and try to not have too many brooders going at once. Once they are ready the cornishx will go out into a chicken tractor and we plan on semi free ranging the turkeys too in a different pasture.

The biggest problem I can foresee is that the cornish crosses will eat the higher protein feed that the turkeys require to grow at their best, which may cause issues with the cornish (too rapid growth rate and flip). Plus higher protein feeds are usually much more expensive that chick grower. Since the cornish are eating machines that will really raise your costs.

you CAN feed the turkeys a lower protein feed.. but they won't grow as nicely as on turkey starter or game bird starter.. plus the grower feed may not be high enough in niacin for the turkeys

One other issue that may become a problem. Cornish are MUCH dirtier than turkey poults.. so I personally I wouldn't mix them for that reason alone.

Others may bring up the issue of Black Head disease.. however if it's not in your area it shouldn't be a concern even if they are brooded together.

I'll be having the same concern when my 25 Cornish X and 5 turkeys arrive in late March. The biggest concern I have is the turkey poults injuring the chicks. I plan to keep them in different brooders. I am thankful all are fast growers so I will be able to transplant them outside as soon as possible.

We have always brooded turkey poults with our meat chicks and not had an issue. They all eat the same 22% organic starter/grower that we buy for our meaties until the turkeys are in their own area when they are larger and then they get their own turkey food. The chicks actually help the poults figure out where the food and water is, as the poults aren't as instinctive about that.

Back
Top Bottom