Can you burry chickens in your garden?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by SongBaby33, Jan 20, 2019.

1. SongBaby33

SongBaby33 ~~Glorious Songbaby~~

Nov 15, 2018
    England, Devon
    My Coop
    Hi everyone I wondered if it was against the rules to burry dead chickens in your garden!
    I have always burried my chickens that have died in my garden.

2. SongBaby33

Nov 15, 2018
    England, Devon
    My Coop
  3. Criticalicious

Criticalicious Songster

Feb 25, 2017
    New Market, VA
    Whose rules? I don't see why this would be against any rules, although some people believe it's a waste of good meat. I can completely understand not wanting to eat one's pets. The only complication I can see might be if they had ingested something toxic that you don't want to put in the groundwater.

4. nchls school

nchls school Crowing

Apr 22, 2015
    Scotts Hill, TN
    I know of no rule. When I have a bird die and don't know why I burn the corpse in case of disease.

5. SongBaby33

Nov 15, 2018
    England, Devon
    My Coop
    It's just I read somewhere that you couldn't burry them in the garden because it made the ground toxic or something:idunno

6. Kris5902

Kris5902 Songster

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    I wouldn’t in a veggie garden for sure! Also I wouldn’t eat them unless I killed them myself. If your chicken just dies on it’s own I don’t think it’s human consumption edible because it hasn’t been properly bled. Buried deeply enough in and ornamental garden though I wouldn’t see as a problem.

7. Criticalicious

Criticalicious Songster

Feb 25, 2017
    New Market, VA
    A bigger concern might be an animal digging it up to eat it, and if the chicken died from a communicable disease, now you're possibly spreading that to other animals.

8. WunnySharbit

WunnySharbit Chirping

Nov 23, 2018
    I usually bury mine under one of our trees or shrubs. I don't like to accidentally find it later prepping the garden. :sick There may be some city ordinance against it, but again, if the plants are using it, it won't "pollute"... Most of the ordinances I have researched have an upper size limit: goldfish, hamsters, cats-OK saint bernard, cow-not so much. Under the feathers, chix are usually smaller than a cat. I have read that a different set of organisms process meat and could cause issues if the rotten carcass is dug into, but I've not had that problem: it really doesn't take long for the plants/composters to deal with it.

9. IamRainey

IamRainey Songster

Aug 22, 2017
    Los Angeles (Woodland Hills)
    A safer way to do it would be to add the corpse to a compost pile. If you do it I'd dig it in 3' or so so you don't have animals digging after it.

10. Kris5902

Kris5902 Songster

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    If it’s an infectious poultry disease I’d think the other birds would already be exposed... always dig the hole two three times deeper than you think you need to, and I wouldn’t worry about anything that digs it up to eat it getting sick.

Most animals that eat carrion have digestive systems that are well adapted to that! Vultures and raccoons are nature’s way of limiting the spread of disease by eating the carcass in an efficient manner!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: