Can you buy just female bantams?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mycritter, Apr 19, 2012.

1. mycritter

mycritter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Hi, I'm a newbie still in the planning stages of getting a flock. After reading another post and some great advice from a member here, I'm thinking about Bantams. My main goal is farm fresh eggs, but we aren't huge egg eaters anyway, so I think we can make due with the smaller eggs. I was planning on ordering online, but so far I only see straight run bantams sold. Anyone know where I can just buy hens? I don't think a rooster will go over well with my neighbors.

Also, what do people do with extra males? I know you can't have too many roosters in a single flock. Are they...culled?

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    You can buy sexed bantams at mypetchicken.com...they are the only hatchery that sells sexed bantams

3. mycritter

mycritter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Thank you! Now to pick out my flock...

4. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    You are very welcome [​IMG]

5. lokua

lokua Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Cackle hatchery has a deal for 5 or 10 bantam pullets but the breed is hatcheries choice. Their website says... May or may not be assorted. Breeds can include: Buff Brahma,Barred Rock,Rhode Island Red,Crele Old English,Barred Cochin,Golden Laced Cochin and/or Red Cochin.

6. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Wow! Thanks for posting about Cackle. They even include Marek's vaccine for free!!! I just might order some for myself :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by