Can you buy laying hens at hatcheries in Kentucky

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by zayniegirl04, May 5, 2008.

1. zayniegirl04

zayniegirl04 New Egg

Apr 28, 2008
    I heard that you could buy laying hens at hatcheries..Is this true? I'm pretty green.[​IMG]

2. schroader

schroader Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2008
    Beaver Dam Ky
    Its true, if you can afford them.... The last I seen was priced at like $14.00-$18.00 a peice. Its better to buy from a local farmer.

3. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    yes you can it cost about 16.00 to 18.00 apiece. I would do it local, the shipping is really high. plus you miss out on raising the little babes which means they are easly tamed from handling. They can be tamed when stared, it can take alittle work( that from personal experince, not true for every one). BUT if your not wanting the tameing than you could. or find a local farmer like (schroader) said. hope it helps .

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Wow that is very expensive. There are some members that bought hatchery hens for 50 cents each.

5. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    What part of KY are you in? I am assuming that you are talking about hens that are already laying? There are several good trades the go on weekly around here. A lot on times you can find laying hens for 6-8-10 bucks a piece. I am pretty sure that Hardin Co Hatchery does not carry any adult birds.

6. Cove View Farm

Cove View Farm Out Of The Brooder

I got two laying hens from local Amish for $5 a piece. I don't know if there are any in your area but you could ask around. Maybe take the ones that are picked on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by