Can you buy only American(or your country) made products?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mattemma, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Is it possible these days to buy items that are made/grown 100% in your country? Final products might be built here,but the parts of many things come from other coutries.

I have nothing against buying products made/grown in other countries,but really am just curious if it is even possible to avoid anything made outside your home country. It has become a bit of a game of sorts with the kids to check the lables on everything.Ds recently fell and we bought a slew of bandages to cover his multiple cuts.Some bandaids were from China and some from Brazil.The lanacae spray was made in the USA.

I know there is a book someone wrote about not buying anything from China for a year,but I forget the extact title.

Our cloths I see is coming from all over.Shoot I even saw garlic at Aldi's the other day from China! We have world and a US map on the kitchedn wall so we look up the coutries/states where things come from. We have fun trying packaged food from other countries too.

Lol, I had to laugh when dh comes home with a cowboy type hat(for his dad) that he got in Texas at some native american shop,and you guessed it...made in China.

2. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Its very difficult to find Made in USA products. I look at each and every item I purchase. If I don't NEED it and it say "Made in China" I put it back. DW used to get upset with me thinking I'm silly, til she researched for herself the fact that almost 100% of everything we spend goes into the Chinese military in one way or another. The Chinese have been quietly/secretly building their military for years now. WHY? You do the research yourself. Most won't believe the answer anyway.

3. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I like the "idea" of buying all American, but even if you find a "Made in America" label, it still doesn't mean that some of the ingredients aren't from another country. Cotton and silk shipped in to make clothes. Food ingredients shipped in to make a product that is processed here. Cars assembled in the US usually have parts made all around the world. Just doesn't seem to be a way to get around it. [​IMG]

4. Ferrret

Ferrret Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Michigan
    A majority of fruit and veggies you buy fresh are likely to come from the same country or somewhere really close buy. The reason of course being that they are perishable and have a short shelf life. Foods with a longer shelf life can come from all over.

Other products you can find but in the US you have to really look for them, and be willing to pay much more than you would for something made out of the country but possibly of the same quality. Made in America doesn't always mean it's a quality product. [​IMG] BF and I recently bought some new spatulas that came with a 'Made in USA' label. They do their job just fine, unless you are using them over a heated surface that makes the plastic a little too soft and easily bendable. Hard to flip a pancake when the spatula bends under the weight of the cake.

Cars and trucks are a good example of made all over products. Sure, it may be assembled in the US, but the electronics could have come from Japan, the seats from Mexico, the plastics from China and so on.

Anyhow, you probably can buy all American, or all Canadian, or all (Insert Your Country Here) products but you will probably end up living without a lot of common place luxuries that most of us are accustom to.

5. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    It's bad when you pick up a package of Dole fruit, and it says Product of china! I hate that! I don't understand how that is cost effective?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  6. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Cheap labor=cost effective
    reduced environmental standards=cost effective

Much of the apple juice found in other juices, or things like fruit snacks is from China, so are other food products. This makes me very nervous due to lax regulation in China. In my supermarket (in Texas) I see produce from Chile, New Zealand, Mexico, Costa Rica, and many other countries. I even occasionally see potatoes from Canada.

Even things like clothing are complicated. The cotton might be grown in the US, woven in one country and made into clothing in a third. Wool clothing might start in New Zealand, be woven or spun in Indonesia and made into clothing in the US. Leather for shoes is produced in the US or Argentina and the shoes are manufactured in Italy.

Cars are assembled from parts from all corners of the globe.

The simple fact of the matter is that we are a global economy and much of the US manufacturing has been exported to cheaper labor markets. To have a constant, year round supply of bananas, citrus, apples, lettuce etc we import food from all over the world. Most Americans expect to be able to buy strawberries in December and grapes year round. We demand a large variety of inexpensive clothing, that we frequently replace. For most of us to change our buying habits to only natively produced items, we would have to change our buying habits, and assumptions. I think for most Americans this would be impossible....

For me, I ain't giving up my coffee [​IMG]

7. AllTheseCreatures

AllTheseCreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

mom'sfolly :

The simple fact of the matter is that we are a global economy and much of the US manufacturing has been exported to cheaper labor markets. To have a constant, year round supply of bananas, citrus, apples, lettuce etc we import food from all over the world. Most Americans expect to be able to buy strawberries in December and grapes year round. We demand a large variety of inexpensive clothing, that we frequently replace. For most of us to change our buying habits to only natively produced items, we would have to change our buying habits, and assumptions. I think for most Americans this would be impossible....

I think this is exactly it. We are a consumer economy (much less so than before the collapse, but I think it is still the case). There isn't a whole lot that is American made anymore and it's a situation we've demanded through our buying habits. My DH is a proponent of a tariff on all imported goods to help pay off our national debt and create a competitive environment for our domestic product again.
    I'm not opposed to a global economy, but I do support economic and environmental sustainability and fair labor practices. What we benefit from should not come at the expense of the impoverished in other countries. I'm more concerned about how it is produced rather than where at this point. I don't see the status quo changing much at all either.​

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Haaaa ha ha! I started a thread about this at Christmas time. Try to see if you can only buy "American made" gifts. I couldn't believe how many people got upset about it. Wal-mart is like heroin- it's bad for you, but you just can't stay away once you start.

I do think it's a wonderful idea. Check out this site: www.locallectual.com

9. melissa41927

melissa41927 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    northeast corner al
    go to madeinamerica.com

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I dont think that its possible. Almost everything today is made over seas in some way...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by