Can you call this an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by enjoyin' my chickens, Mar 11, 2012.

1. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    this is one of my eggs that I collected today. It is the one on the far right. I don't know if I would call it an egg or not. I will let you decide.

[​IMG]

2. swatchick

swatchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    I say, if it's got a shell, it's an egg......and a darn cute one at that.....

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    aw! Its like a ping pong ball!

4. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    @ swatchick it is cute.

@kari_dawn more like a marble.

5. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    lol I have never gotten a fairy egg from one of my girls! They are so cute! Did you crack it open to see if it had a yolk?

6. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is that a new hen starting to lay or? I am curious what other people reply, I get a small egg like that 3 or 4 days a week, dont know who lays it. The eggs have a yolk, the shell is pretty weak, is this an old hen or is there something wrong with the chicken?

7. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I think I read something about some chickens that were laying two eggs a day on a regular basis. One regular sized, and one fairy egg. I think it is more common in breeds that have been selectively bred for egg production...I also read that the chickens that lay like this tend to have severely shortened laying life...what breed/age are your chickens?

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Very common and normal occurence... a "fart" egg.

9. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe its one of 4 hens that I bought last year, supposedly black orps split w/lav but I think only a couple of them are actually full orps, as my roo is black split w/lav. I am new to chickens, just approaching a year and trusted what this gal told me. They were supposedly just a year but I have my doubts. So they would be 2 years this coming august or so.

10. animaladdictions

animaladdictions Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    East Tennessee
    lol! a "fart" egg? That's a good one! One of my cochin hens laid an egg like that last week and she's large fowl not bantam. My kids were dyin to cook it so I said "go ahead". When they cracked it, the shell just peeled away leaving that tough white inner layer membrane thing. It was pretty weird. The chickens thought it was delicious though! NurseTurtles right though....chickens sometimes lay random weird eggs. Sometimes teenie tiny, sometimes enormous, and sometimes they even lay eggs without a shell at all. If it happens regularly, then you may wanna check diet issues, but if its just occasionally, its normal.

nurseturtle!!!! long time no talk to! I'm SOOOO sorry I haven't been in contact. It's been a crazy past few months! I hope you're well!! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by