1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you can milk?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by luvmychicknkids, Jun 14, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Just really got to wondering this. I have thought seriously about goats for milk...probably far in the future. Anyway, milk is no more perishable than...oh, meat, for instance, and it can be canned. So, has anyone ever tried it or do you know if it can be done?

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Well, they do it for stores, but, those are steel cans. I assume you mean jars. Seems like it OUGHT to be possible; I don't know about shelf life or storage temp...My mom's old cookbook had canning info and I do believe milk was on the list. Have you googled it??

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Actually, no, I google everything else, but I didn't even think to this. [​IMG] I need to do that. Yeah, I mean home canning, like jars.

4. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Let us know what you find. Although with goats i doubt youd need to can, youd have fresh milk daily lol.

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I would assume that the heat from processing it would destroy the milk, unless you condensed it. (my assumption)
    Why not freeze it like you would (hate to say this) breast milk. Air tight plastic bags. Some canning jars can be frozen, so sterilize the jars, lids and stuff, toss in freezer.

6. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Make feta cheese instead..then invite me for a huge salad!! [​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You are better off freezing it. You can keep it there in a proper container for 6 months. When it thaws the cream thaws first. You have to wait for the entire jug to thaw.

A home canning operation can't preserve the milk like they do for the boxes of shelf life milk. Canned milk is more often a cream type byproduct.

8. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    How long can it be kept in the freezer? I didn't know you could freeze milk until I google'd freezing breast milk. And there are special bags for freezing it to keep the fat from sticking to the plastic - wow! I sometimes buy Half & Half when it's near expiration, much cheaper, could you freeze it? hmmmmmmmmm [​IMG]

9. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Well, I just didn't wait long enuf, thanks MissPrissy! [​IMG]

10. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

As a kid, we would freeze gallons of milk (take out 2-3 cups) to take camping with us. Putting the frozen gallons of milk in the cooler would keep other things cold, like meats etc, and thawing slow enough to last a while, also we would have just enough for cereal in the mornings.
    It was cool too, ice chunks that were white in your cereal. (weird I know! lol)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by