1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you "can" or "process" pickled eggs?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by NurseNettie, Jan 10, 2009.

1. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I've been making pickled eggs and keeping them in the fridge-- my question, however, is, can I process them like I would a pickle so I can leave them in the cupboard? I see them in the grocery stores and don't see why I couldn't, but want to be sure there's no problem doing so before I give it a try.

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    do you make pickled red beet eggs? My gram cans the pickled red beets then just adds them and a bunch of hard boiled eggs to a container, they keep for at least a week or two. Dont know exactly how long, they dont last long enough to find out. [​IMG]

3. 2 Beauts

2 Beauts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Virginia
    I remember my mom having jars of them on the shelf when I was little, but I have no idea how she did it.

4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I just asked the same question. The answer: NO! Apparantly, you can get botulism from this, they MUST be refridgerated. You could probably can them in the typical way, then refridgerate them to keep them even longer, but they still must stay cold.

Granted, maybe there would be a way if you use a pressure canner instead of a regular canner...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  5. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Thanks everyone! I guess they're all staying in the fridge!!!! With luck, they won't last--- the vacationing ice fisherman are buying them up quickly, along with the fresh eggs!

6. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Good luck. I was looking into the question for sale purposes as well. I came up with either canning them and chilling them, or possibly getting those deli containers with lids and trying to find a shrink band seal. Not sure which would be cheaper, but, to start, I'd imagine canning jars would be cheaper, because you can buy a small stock, and don't need to purchase a heat gun. You could always give a discount on returned canning jars and rings to encourage them to bring them back then too.

Ams, apparantly the red beet pickled eggs are a regional thing. A lot of people have never heard of them if they're not from our area. Good old Dutch cooking. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by