Can you candle brown eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BuckeyeFam, Feb 3, 2009.

1. BuckeyeFam

BuckeyeFam Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I was just wondering because what I've read says white eggs.Also,what days should I candle them? [​IMG]

2. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    yes u can cadle brown eggs and when to candle is up to u as if u wanna watch the devolpment but what i do wanna say is dont candle every day as it will drop your hatch rate the more u candle the lower your hatch will be

3. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    Yes but as Bock said I wouldn't do it often at all. I only candle mine once when hatching

4. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
  5. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html

Try this link to learn to candle eggs. The darker the eggs the stronger the light needs to be and the darker the room. I had a 100% hatch after learning the candling method on my last hatch (had to discard 3 eggs but better than wondering if they are going to hatch)!!!! WooHoo!!!!

6. BuckeyeFam

BuckeyeFam Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    Ohio
    What's the easiest way to candle?
    the site that Debi214 gave says it doesn't hurt if you want to candle everyday [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I use an old slide projector. The bulb is a 300 watt. I candled Welsummer eggs quite successfully. With the darker eggs, you should wait till about 10 days to candle so there is more development to see.

8. Alison Pony

Alison Pony Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    We hatched ducks in school we candled them a lot and only 5 of the 20 hatched

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by