Can you candle Marans eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by McGoo, Mar 24, 2008.

1. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm planning to candle my eggs on day 7 - right? And is it possible to candle Marans eggs? They are pretty dark red/brown.

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Yes, it's possible to candle *any* egg! [​IMG]

3. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    You need a pretty powerful light. I have marans in one of the bators now and I really had a hard time seeing. I really need a surefire but the one I have is pretty good.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It is harder to see anything with Marans eggs and I usually don't even try until day 10. Even then it's really hard to see if they're good dark eggs. I mainly just candle to check on aircell growth.

5. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    I can't candle those darn things. [​IMG] I also just check on air cells. By the time day 17/18 rolls around I have a pretty good guess which ones are clear, but I still leave them in the 'bator for fear that I am just not seeing what I think I'm seeing through those dark shells!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I'm exactly the same way......they all go in the hatcher....just in case!!

7. CHICKENHEAD

CHICKENHEAD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    I have a surefire 110 lumen, you can candle up to about day 11 and then it all turns black except for the air cell.

8. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the help. I don't have a 'surefire'. I was going to use a flashlight set-up. I've got a super powerful flashlight and I was going to put a piece of black paper over it and only let the light pass thru a small opening. Isn't that the idea? [​IMG] Newbie

9. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    that will work McGoo

10. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I can't even see the air sac in mine. Guess I should be happy that they're so dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by