Can you candle Marans eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by McGoo, Mar 24, 2008.

1. McGoo

McGoo Songster

I'm planning to candle my eggs on day 7 - right? And is it possible to candle Marans eggs? They are pretty dark red/brown.

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Songster

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Yes, it's possible to candle *any* egg! [​IMG]

3. You need a pretty powerful light. I have marans in one of the bators now and I really had a hard time seeing. I really need a surefire but the one I have is pretty good.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It is harder to see anything with Marans eggs and I usually don't even try until day 10. Even then it's really hard to see if they're good dark eggs. I mainly just candle to check on aircell growth.

5. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    I can't candle those darn things. [​IMG] I also just check on air cells. By the time day 17/18 rolls around I have a pretty good guess which ones are clear, but I still leave them in the 'bator for fear that I am just not seeing what I think I'm seeing through those dark shells!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I'm exactly the same way......they all go in the hatcher....just in case!!

7. CHICKENHEAD

CHICKENHEAD Songster

Jan 20, 2008
    I have a surefire 110 lumen, you can candle up to about day 11 and then it all turns black except for the air cell.

8. McGoo

McGoo Songster

Thanks for the help. I don't have a 'surefire'. I was going to use a flashlight set-up. I've got a super powerful flashlight and I was going to put a piece of black paper over it and only let the light pass thru a small opening. Isn't that the idea? [​IMG] Newbie

9. kstaven

kstaven Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    that will work McGoo

10. Oblio13

Oblio13 Songster

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I can't even see the air sac in mine. Guess I should be happy that they're so dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: