1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you candle quail eggs?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bamachickens, May 21, 2009.

1. bamachickens

bamachickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    I am 8 days into my first incubation experience and I see a lot of posts on the chicken forums about candling the eggs to check the progress. Can you candle quail eggs?

They are geogia giant bobwhites, so the eggs are white.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    Quote:Yes I candle mine all the time....you will see veins just like a chicken

3. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Should have no problem do it just like a chicken egg

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Buttons and coturnix are not as easy, I usually just look for the darkness in those. Every once in a while I am able to see veins, but not very often. But with white eggs?? You should definitely be able to see something!

5. bamachickens

Mar 25, 2009
    Woohoo, out of 129 eggs, 103 had veins. I'm pumped, I just hope they keep progressing.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:[​IMG] That's great! You're doing better than I am. Out of 16 eggs, I have 10 with veins [​IMG] But they were a bit 'older', and they came from FL, so I guess that's not too bad? Plus it's still early, so they might get some later on.

7. First To Hatch

First To Hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    You can candle white eggs now trying to candle cortunix eggs is like trying to breed a goat to cow.

8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I can candle alot of my cortunix quail eggs ok by day 10 or so if you look thru them its usaully possible to tell when there clear even if you cant see actuall viens and such just lack of , on heavly spotted ones its harder , on the little button eggs the light ones I can but that dark brownish greenish ones I cant see anything at all in.

9. bamachickens

Mar 25, 2009
    I am at day 18 and I tried to candle again, I looked at about 20 eggs, and only had one that I could see through (development had stopped really early on it). I assume that if I cannot see anything, that is a good sign. We come out of the turners Wednesday.

10. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by