Can you castrate 5 month old roosters so that they won't fight and...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bocktobery 10, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Bocktobery 10

Bocktobery 10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    I was wondering, can you castrate 5 month old roosters so that they won't fight each other OR try and mate with your hens? I bought some eggs for my broody hen this summer. Three hatched. Two of which were roosters. I planned on rehoming them because I do not have enough hens to satisfy them without being a danger to my flock. (I only have seven hens) I have tried to find homes for them but so far... nothing. I wouldn't mind to keep them... but I need to do so with all of them in the same coop. Even though the roos were raised together and only play sparred before, they have recently started to spar very seriously to the point of both being injured. I have them separated from my hens and from each other now which is proposing a problem when it comes to the winter weather that is approaching. The one pen is not very winter friendly and having a lone rooster in there by himself does not sound like a good idea when the minus 0 degrees F weather comes.

So, will making a rooster a capon at five months cause him to become docile?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

No, they would have needed to have been canonized at about 5 weeks of age.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    A lone rooster will be able to handle down to -10 F with little difficulty so long as properly fed and wind is not direct.

4. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    They are too old to caponize. And at that age, even if it could be done, it might not stop the fighting, since they have already learned to do so. Have you tried offering them for free for someone to eat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by