1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can you collect winter (ie, cold) eggs for broody hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by panipuri, Jan 26, 2012.

1. panipuri

panipuri Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    My hen has gone broody. We decided to start collecting eggs.

Problem is it's about mid 30s (in the coop, too) and the eggs were laid this morning. They were quite cold when I collected them this afternoon. Will they still be viable? I have them in a cool room in my house now.

I'm going to try to catch the eggs soon after being laid for the next few mornings much quicker.

Basically I don't quite understand how chilled can an egg get, and chilled for how long (half day?), kills an embryo.

Appreciate any thoughts! :)

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    so long as they didn't freeze they will be fine.

Eggs manage cold great - its heat that kills

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    there are several people here who hatch eggs bought from trader joes - those eggs on in the cooler for days before being sold.

4. panipuri

Jan 26, 2012
    thats funny about trader joes!

Why is it that some suggest not to refrigerate? I hear some saying you can't, some say you can.

5. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    So refridgerated egg can hatch ? Interesting ! I have always been told over the years not to let the eggs get too cold !! or hatching rates is not good...

6. panipuri

Jan 26, 2012
    is it that some people's fridges are too cold and others are not? ie...setting closer to 32 ..or 40 makes a difference?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by