Can you confirm what I think I have

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by harleyjo, Aug 23, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I was given these 2 chickens today because a gal had been given them for a gift this spring and doesn't want them anymore. She said they don't lay eggs. Well I think these are 2 buff orpington pullets around 14-16 weeks old. Nope they aren't going to lay eggs yet, they are too young.

So I have them home and am keeping them crated for now until my girls get used to them. Then I have to get them used to the coop so I don't imagine I can let them free range with the others for a few weeks.

2. Chickenfarmer 1-2-b

Chickenfarmer 1-2-b Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Looks like 2 hens to me.

3. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Do you think they are buff orpingtons? They were chicks when she got them this spring. I am assuming someone got them at a chick days at one of the farm stores.

4. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    They are buff orps.I have one like these as well,and they are hens..err uhh I mean pullets.Not egg ready yet.

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Sure way to tell them from Buff Rocks is the legs...its hard to tell from the pic but if they have pearl colored legs they are Orpingtons if they are yellow they are Rocks.

Oh and they are both pullets.

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Beautiful young orp gals that should start providing you with lots of eggs in a couple months.

Matt

7. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    They do have pearl colored legs! Yeah, I wanted some orps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by