1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you cross bantams with standards?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by epona4, Nov 11, 2008.

1. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have a sussex roo and hen and a Barred Rock bantam trio. Will the roos try to mate with all the ladies?

I suspect come spring I'll need to separate the pair from the trio as I'd like to have some Sussex chicks. However, I am wondering if it is possible to cross them or if that would be bad for the banty hens.

Thanks

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    My EE roo breeds my Silkie hen, but I keep a saddle on her b/c his nails tear her skin since he's so big. The chicks are the most adorable thing ever though!

3. epona4

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    How does a saddle work? I've never heard of this before. I am guessing it is to protect the hens backs.

4. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Yep, the roos will try to mate them all. I let my chickens out of the breeding pens for winter and I have seen bantam roosters mating full-sized hens and full-sized roosters mating bantam hens. I am incubating some of the eggs right now to see the fun mixes. I watched them all closely and the roosters don't seem to fight each other they just each choose a group of hens for themselves and live in seperate areas of the great big barn they are living in for the winter and I figured the barn was warmer than all the outdoor coops over the winter.

5. runamuck

runamuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern michigan
    Yep, its works [​IMG] Heres the proof Pretty boy the Phoenix sebright mix roo

[​IMG]

anyone want a few lol [​IMG]

6. epona4

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    A very pretty boy indeed!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by